Chapter 24

Duval stood over his twin brother, seething with hatred. Malveen was tied to a chair, his hands and feet bound. Duval had taken him by suprise, when he revealed himself in the woods that morning. He was so suprised to see his supposed dead brother that he wasn't prepared for the attack. Duval had rushed him and though Malveen had put up a fight, he was no match for his evil twin. Duval had bashed him over the head with a rock. He didn't know how long he had been out, but when he awoke, he was bound to the chair and alone. He had tried to get free but to no avail, the ropes were too tight. He was as good as dead, he knew his brother would kill him.

His only hope was that the Duke's man had been following Duval. Malveen knew now why they had suspected him of the attacks on Arabella and the Duke. He also knew that his brother planned to take his place. It was the only way Duval would get Arabella's inheritence.

He had always been greedy, wanting everything for himself. He was quite sure that Duval had killed their brother, Arabella's father. It took a evil, deranged mind to plan something like this, and to wait eighteen years to collect. Duval was both of those things and more. Now he was standing over him, ranting about how unfairly he had been treated. How he would finally get his revenge on all of them, and the inheritence that was rightfully his. Malveen shuddered at the thought of him getting his way. Duval finally stopped ranting and smiled at Malveen. A smile so evil it made his skin crawl. "I'll be back for you soon brother," he sneered. I have to get back to our pretty little niece." Then he turned and left. Malveen prayed for intervention.

Marcus arrived at Asterley Park and asked an audience with the Duke. It was urgent that he speak with him. He was shown into the study and asked to wait by the elderly butler. Jamison went upstairs to inform the Duke that Mr. Jones had arrived.

"Enter," called the Duke.

Jamison entered, suprised to see everyone gathered in the Dukes bedroom. However, a good butler did not acknowledge nor comment on the fact.

"There is a visitor here for you your Grace. Mr. Jones to be percise. He says that it is most urgent that he speaks to you. Should I tell him to wait, inquired Jamison?"

"No, I am quite alright Jamison. I will be down in a moment." Arabella tried to get him to stay in bed, Alexander would have none of it though.

"I am fine, Arabella. It is you who should rest a while. It's been a very stressful day, and you have suffered a wound to the head. I will be back soon, I promise." He then leaned over and kissed her, on the lips, in front of everyone.

Arabella was so taken back by the kiss, that she hadn't even noticed he left the room. Everyone else noticed the kiss however, and they were very pleased. The Count smiled at his wife, kissed her on the lips, and followed Alexander out. The Duchess laughed at the blushing young woman and her equally blushing grandmother. She then guided the Countess out of the room so Arabella could rest.

Duval had just returned to Asterley. He was furious. He had taken a huge risk to steal the rattle. It had all been for nothing. He realized now that it wouldn't matter. The Count and Countess had already accepted her, and the courts would acknowledge their testimony. The girl had to die. He just needed a plan. Then he heard the Duke mention 'twin' through the study door. Duval smiled to himself, so they knew about him. A plan started to form in his mind. They already thought 'he' was Malveen, why not use that to his advantage. He would take the girl to the cottage, kill her, then kill Malveen. He would make them think Malveen was him, returned for revenge. Then all would be his, once the Count and Countess died on their way back to France. He stepped back into the shadows again when he heard more voices coming from upstairs. The ladies were exiting the Dukes room, bidding Arabella to rest. Perfect he thought, now was his chance. He waited for them to pass and headed up the stairs.

Marcus greeted the gentleman and proceeded to tell them what he had found out. He told them how he had followed Malveen after he left Asterley. He told them about the cabin in the woods. How he heard Malveen arguing with what sounded like himself. That upon further reflection he realized that there were two voices, not one. He then asked the Count if Malveen had a twin. The Count confirmed Marcus's suspicions, and told them about Duval. Marcus wasn't at all shocked. He had been an investigater for years, he had seen what greed and jealousy could do to a man. Especially one who was evil to start with. Some men he thought were just born that way, those were the ones that scared him the most. A man without a conscience was capable of anything. Alexanders voice pulled him from his thoughts.

"We need a plan," he said. "We have to rescue Malveen from the cottage, and capture Duval before he hurts anyone else."

"Do you think Duval will come back here?" asked the Count. If so we can just restrain him, and go and get Malveen."

"That would be the best way," said Marcus. "But all I heard was two men arguing. What if Malveen is part of this? We cant risk leaving Arabella alone if he is. He could come back here, while we are out there."

While the men planned what to do next, a commotion broke out in the hall. They all jumped up as the door swung open. The Duchess rushed in with the Countess on her heals. "Arabella is gone," she cried.

"Gone!" "What do you mean gone?" Asked Alexander.

"She was taken by Duval. The stable master was hit over the head, and the stable boy said he seen Arabella ride out with Malveen."

"You have got to find her Phillipe, he will kill her," cried the Countess.

Alexander went to his desk and pulled out his revolvers. He handed one to the Count, "to protect the ladies," he said. Then motioned for Marcus to follow. The Duchess grabbed a hold of his arm. "You cant go out there, you are in no shape to ride, let alone fight Duval."

"I will be fine, besides," he smiled, "I'm a crack shot. I can't just sit here waiting mother, I have to go, I love her. Please, just wait here and pray we get to her in time." With that he kissed her cheek, shrugged on his overcoat, and headed out the door. Marcus followed and the Duchess began to pray.