Chapter 8

Alexander was growing increasingly agitated and bored. Dear god! Did his mother invite every marriagable chit in London to this party, he thought restlessly. If he had to be introduced to one more insipid, giggling, school girl he was going to chew his arm off. The only reason he was still standing there was because he gave his word he would stay. As if that wasn't enough, his mother was not being very discreet at all in her machinations.

His only saving grace was that Jonathan had been roped into attending also. Seeing his friend approaching, he politely excused himself from the gaggle of white clad females and walked towards him.

As always, Jonathans appearance was impeccable, as well as his looks. Tall, blonde, and blue eyed, the Viscount was quite the ladies man. Alexander heard the sighs emitted from the gaggle behind him. He chuckled to himself. The Viscount was deemed quite the catch by marriage minded mother's, and a perceived rake by most others. It didn't hurt that he was as rich as midas to boot. Alexander would be jealous if he wasn't his best friend.

"So Asterly," asked Jonathan. "What say you to cutting out of here?"

"I'd say yes if I didn't have to face the Duchess later," grumbled Alexander. "How pray tell did you get trapped into attending this little soirree?"

Jonathan looked over the sea of white gowns as he answered. "Lets just say I made a bargain with that she devil of a woman I call mother," he growled.

Alexander chuckled and set down his glass of lemonade. "Well," he said, "we may have to stay here for a little while longer, however nobody will notice if we take our leave for a few short minutes. Come, lets go to my study shall we? I have a taste for something a little stronger than that," he said, as he pointed to his discarded glass of Mederia. "I recently purchased a case of the finest French brandy to be had."

Johnathan bowed "By all means, lead the way my friend," and gestured for Alexander to proceed him.

Once inside Alexander poured them each a brandy and produced a cache of Figurado Cigars. Then they both sat down to relax in his exquisite English leather chairs. Jonathan asked him if he had any news from Marcus yet.

"Have you received any news from Marcus yet? Has he found your mystery girl?"

"No, nothing yet im afraid," answered Alexander. "I do hope to hear something soon however, its been nearly a week now."

"I'm sure that you will," replied Jonathan. "Marcus is very good at what he does, he is one of the best investigators in London. I have great faith in him"

"Yes, I am aware. I have every faith in his abilities as well. However, without much to go on, and someone trying to dissuade our every move, it's yet even more difficult."

"Yes, I quite agree. I do hope you will both be vigilante however, as you do not know who it is you are dealing with."

"I intend to take every precaution my friend. I have also made it clear to Marcus that if things start to get too dangerous, then he is to inform me immediately and stop the investigation. While we are in the subject of investigations, there is another issue I may need him to look into. Something that was just presented to me this morning by the Duchess."

"Really?" Asked Johnathan curiously, his attention caught by the Dukes words.

"Indeed. My mother has informed me that we will be hosting some old friends of my grand parents. They are traveling from France. In fact, they will be arriving next week."

"How fascinating, do go on," said Johnathon.

The Duke proceeded to tell his friend all that the duchess explained to him.
"It appears that their grandchild was secreted away by her mother's maid on the day she was born," he said. "Unfortunately the mother died giving birth. Fearing for her childs life she had made arrangements for her maid to take the babe away to a trusted friend. She never made it to the friends home. The maid however, was found dead the next day, with no sign of the babe. For almost eighteen years they have been searching for her, but to no avail. Until recently that is."

"It's sounds like a story from one of Amelias Penny Dreadful novels. Do continue please," said Jonathon intrigued by the Duke's story.

"It seems" continued Alexander, "a Bishop who found the babe on the cathedral steps took the infant in. He later found a letter tucked into the basket the baby was in. After reading it he sent the child to London. He felt she would be safer there. Somewhere far enough away where he could keep her hidden and alive until her eighteenth year. Just as the letter had requested. As her eighteenth year was coming up, the bishop decided it was time to inform the grandparents. However, days before they were to meet with him the bishop was killed. He wasn't able tell them who, or with whom their granddaughter actually was."

"So as you can see," said Alexander. "I will need Marcus' assisatance with that bit of business as well."

"That's quite a mystery. What about the father?" Asked Johnathan. "Is he not still alive?"

"I'm afraid not," replied Alexander. "Apparently the father was killed in a carriage accident two weeks before the child was born. Seems rather odd, dont you think? All of those deaths surrounding one tiny babe?"

"Yes, rather odd indeed," agreed the Viscount.