Chapter 14

Arabella was going out of her mind with worry. She couldn't just sit here waiting for news, she needed to be out there searching.

"Arabella please sit down and rest, you wont be doing Jemmy any good if you make yourself ill," chided the Abbess.

"I know but I can't," cried Arabella. "I need to do something. Jemmy is in danger because of me. We need to find him."

As if her prayers were just answered, Arabella heard hoof beats. She ran into the hall to see who it was. Hopefully it was Mr. Jones with some news.

Alexander walked into the Abbey to see a dozen faces greeting him. He was relieved to find Arabella there. He had been worried about her all day, thinking she might try something foolish.

He strode to her and grasped her arms in his hands. He noticed she was still holding Jemmy's cap.

"How are you holding up?" He asked.

"I'm trying to hold it together your Grace, and put on a brave face for the others. However, I'm afraid I am not doing a very good job. Its been hours now, and we haven't recieved a word from the kidnapper, or Mr. Jones. Have you heard from him, your Grace?"

"No, said Alexander, I'm afraid I haven't any news either." Alexander could tell she was shaken and a bit restless, but there where questions he needed answers too.

"Perhaps, ladies, looking pointedly at the two of them, we should go into the parlour and wait for Mr. Jones. There are some things that I would like to discuss."

Arabella and Abbess Helen turned and headed to the parlour while the Duke dismissed everyone else. A Dukes power was an asset when you needed something done, Arabella mused. They sat on the sofa awaiting the Dukes questions, unsure of how much they should confide in him.

Alexander moved into the room and sent one of the nuns for a tea tray. Truth be told he could probably use something a little stronger, however he needed all his senses working. Once the tea was delivered and they were alone in the room, he directed his questions to the ladies.

Arabella sat quitely, while the Abbess told him their story. She told him about Arabella being left as an orphan. How they believed that whomever her mother was protecting her from had found her, and that she believed he wanted Arabella dead. She explained how Arabella was from an influential family and stood to inherit a great deal, and that the man behind all this would inherit if Arabella didn't surface. She also told him about the rattle and the poem, but she left out some of the details from the letter, just in case the Duke couldn't be trusted. She felt terrible about that, but until she knew for certain, it was her duty to keep Arabella safe.

Alexander felt like he was transported into a fairy tale. It seemed the joke about a princess in hiding wasn't too far removed from reality. Boy wouldn't Jonathan have a hoot with this one. He knew that everything about her spoke of quality, he simply thought that a guardian had left her here to be raised in the Abbey. Most likely until it was time for her to debut. At least that was a more plausible story, this one was filled with mystery and intrigue beyond his imagination. Of course it was more than a story, this was real life, and two lives were at stake. He needed to get to the bottom of this. He needed to find the man behind these deeds and protect Arabella while doing it. He also needed to find Jemmy. The man would use him as bait to lure Arabella to him, of that he was certain.

Arabella watched the emotions flitter across the Dukes face. They ranged from suprise, disbelief, then to anger. She could tell he was struggling to believe all that he was being told. She herself had felt the same way not long ago. She also knew that the Abbess withheld some of her story from the Duke. She understood why, but she couldn't bring herself to mistrust this man. His eyes were too genuine, too expressive for anyone dishonest. However, she would follow the Abbeses lead and wait to see, but in her heart she knew the truth. The Duke was a good, honest man, she would bet her life on it. In fact she was about too, she needed to find Jemmy.

A voice interrupted her musings.

"Arabella, are you okay? "You seem a little lost in thought," said the Duke.

"I beg your pardon, your Grace. I was thinking about Jemmy and how to proceed. I was wondering if you might help me, I want to join the search."

He was cold and frightened, but he was free. It had seemed like hours had passed since the man left. He had finally worked his hands out of his bonds. He then worked tirelessly to pry open some boards, to get out of the runned down shack. Now he was alone and walking through the forest. It was terribly dark with only a sliver of moonlight to see where he was going. He wasnt sure of his direction but he prayed he was going the right way. He had taken a few scraps left by the man and a knife from the table. He needed to be brave, he told himself. He needed to get to Arabella before the man did. There were so many sounds coming from the forest animals, and then suddenly he heard hoofbeats, he began to run.