Chapter 11

They were all standing in the parlour when the children ran into the room screaming.

"Jemmy is missing!" They all screamed at once. The littlest one's jumping up and down to be heard above the others.

Arabella and the Abbess gasped aloud! Then suddenly, without pause, Alexander felt Arabella give away next to him. He quikly reached for her waist, catching her in his arms once again. He then carried her over to the sofa. He hesistated to put her down immediately though. Truth be told he wanted to keep her in his embrace. Her lith body in his arms, with her head lying against his chest, felt amazing. However, it would be improper to hold on to her any longer. It was improper to hold her anywhere, let alone inside an Abbey, in full view of the Abbess. As soon as he layed her on the sofa she began to blink her eyes open.

********

Arabella opened her eyes to see the Duke leaning over her with concern. Then she looked up into those beautiful grey eyes. They were captivating, and definitely something she could get used to looking at.

Her dreamy thoughts were interrupted however, by the sound of Abbess Helens voice. Her cheeks flushed when she realized they were not alone. It was quite embarrassing to have fainted in front of the Duke, even more so to be caught in suchThey were all standing in the parlour when the children ran into the room screaming.

"Jemmy is missing!" They all screamed at once. The littlest one's jumping up and down to be heard above the others.

Arabella and the Abbess gasped aloud! Then suddenly, without pause, Alexander felt Arabella give away next to him. He quikly reached for her waist, catching her in his arms once again. He then carried her over to the sofa. He hesistated to put her down immediately though. Truth be told he wanted to keep her in his embrace. Her lith body in his arms, with her head lying against his chest, felt amazing. However, it would be improper to hold on to her any longer. It was improper to hold her anywhere, let alone inside an Abbey, in full view of the Abbess. As soon as he layed her on the sofa she began to blink her eyes open.

********

Arabella opened her eyes to see the Duke leaning over her with concern. Then she looked up into those beautiful grey eyes. They were captivating, and definitely something she could get used to looking at.

Her dreamy thoughts were interrupted however, by the sound of Abbess Helens voice. Her cheeks flushed when she realized they were not alone. It was quite embarrassing to have fainted in front of the Duke, even more so to be caught intimate thoughts about the man.

"Arabella, are you alright my child?" asked the Abbess.

"Oh! I believe so," she replied while attempting to sit up, but halted by the Duke's hands upon her shoulders.

"Lie down he ordered."

"What happened to me?" She asked.

"Well, you fainted my dear," replied the Duke.

Arabella blushed at the Duke's endearment. "Y..Yes of course," she stuttered. "Do forgive me, she said, as she felt the heat welling up in her cheeks."

Seconds later she suddenly sprang up from the sofa. "Jemmy!" She screamed. "What has happened to Jemmy? Have they found him yet?"

Abbess Helen took her hands and guided her back to the sofa. "You must sit down dear, it wont do for you to excite yourself further."

"Lord Asterley, can you get Arabella a glass of wine please?" Asked the Abbess.

Alexander moved over to the cabinet to do as she requested, then returned to Arabellas side. Arabella took the glass, but could barely hold it as her hands were shaking, so she downed the entire glass in one drink. Alexander raised and eyebrow at her actions. Smirking as he took the empty glass. Arabella colored at her inappropriate behavior, then shrugged her shoulders in response, and relaxed. The exchange between the two of them did not go unnoticed by the Abbess. The Duke she thought just might be the blessing she had been praying for.

Now that Arabella was calm, and the room quieted, the Duke and the Abbess relayed what had happened to Jemmy.

"We have to do something!" Cried Arabella. "We cant just sit here. We have to search the grounds, he's probably terrified, you know how he fears the dark. He may be hurt."

"Mr. Jones, and several of the men from town are already doing that as we speak," said the Duke. "They will inform us if they find him."

"What do you mean if they find him?" asked Arabella. "Surely this man hasn't taken him, why would he? He is an orphan, there would be no ransom for his release," she stated. The looks on their faces at that moment however, sent chills down Arabellas spine. She already knew the answer. The kidnapper wanted her, she was the ransom for Jemmy's return.

It was concluded by the Duke that Jemmy must have seen the mans face and was therefore taken by him. That of course only added to Arabellas fears. This was all her fault, she brought this trouble here. She should have left well enough alone. Someone wanted her gone, and because of her questions, that dear sweet boy was in the clutches of a madman. She had to find him, even if it meant putting her own life at risk.

At that moment there was a knock on the parlour door. "Enter!" called out the Abbess.

Mr. Jones entered the parlour. He looked like he had been through hell and back, noted Arabella.

"Your Grace, he bowed. "Abbess, Miss Smith," he acknowledged with a slight bow. I'm afraid it's not good news. We searched everywhere, I even followed a trail from the stables, but I lost it near the woods. We couldnt find Jemmy anywhere. No one has seen him, and the children said he had headed towards the stables before they came in."

"Then you believe he has been abducted Marcus?" Asked the the Duke.

"It looks that way your Grace." He said, answering the Duke's question. Marcus stepped forward and handed Arabella a small brown woolen cap. It was Jemmy's, he never went anywhere without it. Dear God, please keep him safe, she silently prayed, as she clutched the cap to her chest.

********

Jemmy wasn't scared, at least that's what he kept telling himself. Arabella always told him if he faced his fears he would be the victor,easy for her to say, he thought miserably. He didnt know where he was, it was dark, and there were no windows except for one. All he could really see from the floor though was darkness outside. He didnt much like the dark, thats usually when the monsters came out. But he wouldn't think of them, not now. He had a bigger monster inside with him. He needed to get away, he needed to warn Arabella about this terrible man. He couldn't understand most of what he was saying, something about being the rightful heir and it being all her fault. The man was drunk and angry, he was not very nice at all. If Jemmy said anything he would kick him and call him mean names. Jemmy didnt like this man, no sir, he was a very bad man. So he sat quitely, trying to get loose without the man noticing. He hoped the man would fall asleep soon so he could get away. If only it wasnt so dark out he thought, but he wouldn't be scared, No! He admonished himself, he had be brave, Arabella's life depended on it.