Chapter 23

The Countess had read the letter from her only child to the Bishop. Tears had welled up in her eyes remembering the last time she had seen her. She had told them her child was in danger. She had insisted on leaving and going into hiding. They had begged her to stay. They could have protected her. Evangiline had insisted though, and that was the last time they had seen her. However, after reading the mysterious poem the Countess realized that the danger had been too close to home for her to stay. Arabella might not be alive today if Evangiline had stayed with them. Her daughter hadn't been sure who the it was, but she had figured it out towards the end. So she had left her daughter with the Bishop. She had implored him in her letter to hide her child. To keep her safe until she was old enough to claim her inheritence. He had sent Arabella here, to England, and now they had brought her enemy straight to her. Only her enemy wasn't the person they thought he was.

"What do you mean grandmother?" Asked Arabella.

The Countess walked over to Arabella, and sat down on the bed next to her. "Have you studied the poem that your mother left, Arabella?" asked the Countess.

"I have read it, but to be honest it made no sense to me," she replied.

"Are you referring to the poem that was left with the rattle?" Interjected Alexander.

"Oui," replied the Countess. "I can understand why it would sound like nonsense to you. To us however, it was meant as a clue. Evangiline knew we would understand what it meant. Unfortunately it never made it to us as planned. So you see all these years we did not know, did not suspect, and now we have led danger to your door."

At that moment the Count entered the room. He took one look at his Countesses face and hastened to her side. "What is this mon amour, why do you cry?"

The Countess handed him the letter and the poem. Tears formed as he read the letter, then anger and bewilderment slashed across his face as he read the poem. The Duke asked him to read the poem out loud.

Two alike in face and form
Temperment and humility not the norm
One is evil, one is kind
Ones not dead, yet hard to find
Trust no one, even him
He may not be he, but his evil twin

"I dont understand, said Arabella. What does this all mean?"

The Count sat down I'm the chair vacated by the Countess, and proceeded to tell them the events that led to all of this. "You see Arabella," he started. "Your father was no ordinary gentleman. He was the Duke of Belmonte, Chastaine LeFavreau, cousin to King Louis. You are the daughter of a Duke Arabella, and the granddaughter of a Count. Your grandfather, the previous Duke had twin boys by his mistress. He loved his sons but could not raise them as his own. He had a legitimate son as his heir, Chastaine. He was able to provide for them so he sent them away to be cared for. They were taken in by his friend and raised as his wards. That man was my brother Augustine. He was the former Duke's best friend and confidant. When Augustine passed away, you grandmother and I raised the boys alongside our Evangeline. Their names were Malveen and Duval. Malveen was always sweet, kind and loving, Duval on the other hand was spoiled and bad tempered. We tried everything but nothing ever satisfied him. When they were about thirteen years of age, Duval pushed Malveen out of a tree, and broke his leg. That wasn't the first time he had hurt someone. He also tried to drown your mother while swimming in the lake. We no choice but to send him away after that."

The Count took a short pause to wipe his eyes, then continued...."When your father met our sweet Evangeline, he fell in love with her and asked for her hand. Of course we had to tell him about Malveen and Duval since he would be part of the family. He wanted to meet them both, even though we told him about Duvals temperment. He began a relationship with both men, as they were brothers after all. Things went smoothly for a few years, and then Evangeline announced she was with child. Malveen was happy, but Duval started showing signs of jealousy. Two months into the pregnancy however, your father and Duval were killed in a carraige accident.

"Arabella, gasped!" The Duke clasped her hand to soothe her.

The Count nodded and continued. "Their carraige had been run off of a cliff into the ocean," he said. "Their bodies unfortunately were unable to be recovered. We had just assumed both men were killed. Then Evangeline started to have little accidents. A carraige lost its wheel, a stranger acosted her in the park, and a horse and buggy nearly ran her down."

At the last comment Arabella and the Duke looked at each other knowingly.

The Count acknowledged the look and carried on with his story. "Evangeline then realized that maybe the death of her husband was not an accident. That her life and yours was in danger. We never suspected Duval, as we thought he was dead. As for Malveen, he would never do this. He hated his brother for the years of torture he put him through. He also loved your mother and father very much. I cant believe he would be a part to all of this."

Alexander interupted the Counts telling. "Sir," he asked, "If Arabella hadn't been found, who would inherit?"

The Count looked into Alexander's eyes in defeat, "Malveen," he said. The Countess began to weep.

Are you enjoying the story so far? Dont forget to vote 😍