Chapter 12

Asterley Manor, A big expansive manse was built by the current Duke's great, great grandfather. William James Asterley. He was the first Duke of Pemberton. He built the original hall. Alexander's grandfather built the additional wings on after he became the Duke. The land had been in the family for generations. They were land rich, and loyal to their king, but not titled. However, when his great, great grandfather was given the title of Duke by Edward VI, for services rendered, the Duke had built Asterly Park. Of course the succeeding Dukes had added to its splender. Asterley Park was known for its luscious grounds and bounty of trees and flora. Alexander enjoyed bringing home exotic botany that he found while traveling abroad.

The Manse itself was grand with its marble ballroom floors, the polished oak staircase, and its multitude of opulant guest rooms throughout. The chandelier, a focal point of the entry way, gleaming with a thousand crystals, was a work of art. People from all around talked about it, Alexander hated it. He cringed everytime they lowered It from the ceiling for cleaning. Asterly was one of the places the ton never turned down an invitation too. To them it was a showcase, a museum. To his family it was home.

Today however, it was host to his grandparents friends, they would be arriving shortly, and Alexander wasn't looking forward to entertaining company. He had a young woman to look after and a child to find. He had the Abbess at this very moment watching over Arabella, while Marcus and his men were searching for Jemmy. He prayed he would hear something soon.

Alexander stared out the window from his study. A cloud of dust and the sound of hoofs coming up the drive, signaled that their guests were approaching. With a sigh, the Duke made his way to the foyer, where he was met by his mother. Jamison and the staff were lined up excitedly waiting for the important vistors to arrive.

The coach pulled up to the assembly and the footman let down the steps. A rather tall, middle aged man with sandy hair, and blue eyes emerged from the coach, followed by and elderly man and women. The later he assumed were his grandparents friends, he didnt know who the first man was however.

The Duchess made her way down the steps with Alexander in tow.

"Count Dubois, Contess Dubois!" She greeted. "Welcome to Asterley Park. The Count a tall, husky man with a head full of gray hair, kissed the Duchesses' cheeks. "Thank you lady Asterley," he said. "It is a pleasure to see you again. I believe you we're just a girl and had married the Duke when last we visited."

"LA!" Interrupted the Countess, "it has been so very long, che'ri," she said, as she gave the Duchess an affectionate hug and kiss as well. A dainty lady, the countess, with snow white hair and sparkling blue eyes turned to Alexander.

"Ah!" "This must be your son Alexander," the Duke, she said, while grasping Alexanders fore arms. "Such a handsome young man, Oui!"

Alexander bowed over the Contesses' hand as he carried it to his lips. "It is a pleasure to meet you Countess Dubois.
It is indeed an honor and a pleasure to meet such a distinguished woman as yourself."

"Oui, quite the charmer this one is," she said with a cheeky grin.

Alexander winked, making the Countess laugh aloud. She slapped him playfully with her fan. Before stepping back so the Duchess could make the formal introductions. Alexander bowed to the Count and shook his hand, but his eyes returned to the Countess, he couldn't understand why she looked so familiar to him, something about her smile."

"Ah non!" "Please forgive my manners, may I introduce my nephew Malveen Dubious," said the Count as he jestered for the other gentleman to advance.

"Malveen, was kind enough to accompany us on our trip here," he said.

"He is forever worried for our safety," the Countess interjected, as she patted his arm now linked to hers."

"Yes, well it is a very dangerous ship ride, and they are very dear to me," replied Malveen, smiling down at the Countess. The Countess beamed up at her nephew in return.

It was clear they both thought highly of their nephew. However, although Alexander didn't know why, for some reason he didn't care for Malveen Dubois. Something about the man made him feel uncomfortable. He shrugged the feeling off however, as he lead his guests into the foyer. He didn't have time to wonder about the man, he needed to get everyone settled and get back to Salisbury tonight. He wanted to check on Arabella. He hadn't liked leaving her. Although she was well protected, he would feel much better being there with her. He had a bad feeling eating at his gut, and normally it was right.