Chapter 10

Alexander and Marcus arrived at the Abbey in good time. They had pushed straight through to Salisbury in anticipation of meeting the mysterious Arabella. When they arrived they were greeted at the door by a short, stout nun who had an incredibly deep voice. She introduced herself as Sister Joanna. She led them into a quite parlor where they encountered a novice at work. The little nun squeaked when she saw the two of them, however she didn't say a word. She just turned and quietly made her way towards the door, but not before the sister named Joanna directed her to bring refreshments for the two gentleman.

"Your Grace," she said. "If you gentleman will wait here, Sister Rose will attend to you while I see if Abbess Helen is available."

"Very well, thank you sister," answered the Duke. "If you will, please inform the Abbess that it is of great importance that we see her immediately."

Sister Joanna nodded. "As you wish your Grace," she replied, then exited the room.

Five minutes later the doors swung open and a tall, thin, yet rather comely looking nun entered the room. She had very kind eyes, and a charming smile. If he wasn't mistaken though, he would say she eyed him with a touch of weariness. Interesting he thought while studying the Abbess closely.

"Your Grace, I am Abbess Helen, I run Saint Anne's Abbey. Please, gentleman, wont you be seated?" She made a gesture towards the chairs by the fire. "Sister Joanna said you wished to see me on a matter of great importance?"

"Yes, Sister, I have been informed that a young lady I have been searching for, resides here at the Abbey."

"We have many young ladies here your Grace," she replied. "Perhaps you could tell me whom you are referring."

Alexander wondered why the Abbess was acting elusive. She looked extremely uncomfortable and frightened? He decided it would be best to be forthright. To relate to Sister Helen the incidents that brought him to her door.

"You see," he began.

"A few weeks ago while in London a young lady was almost run down by a stray carriage. I managed to pull her away just in time, however before I could catch my breath, she thanked me and ran off. Concerned for her safety I followed in the direction that she went, but I couldn't find her. When I started asking questions near here, the next day, I was shot at.

That of course led me to believe that the young woman may be in danger of some sorts. It was then that I decided to obtain the services of Mr. Jones," he gestured towards Marcus. "I hired Mr. Jones to find the young lady in question for me. His investigation led us to you. I believe the young lady's name is Arabella."

Abess Helen turned as white as a sheet, the Duke noticed. She didnt seem at all suprised. Instead she looked worried by what Alexander had just related to her.

"Madame," he asked. "Are you feeling unwell?"

"No!" She shook her head as if to clear it. "No," she repeated."

"I am fine. I'm terribly sorry your Grace, you just caught me a little off guard. You see, I was aware that something like this could happen, I just prayed that it wouldn't. Your Grace, Arabella is not an orphan. She is my ward, and I'm afraid she is in grave danger."

At that moment screams erupted from outside. The Duke and Marcus jumped from their seats and ran towards the door, nearly colliding with one another.... Suddenly the door burst open, and Arabella tumbled in. Thinking quickly, the Duke caught her in his arms to stop her from falling forward. When he looked down, a pair of beautiful blue eyes looked up into his once more.

********

Arabella collided into a brick wall. She was stunned to see the man with the intense grey eyes standing before her, arms once again wrapped around her waist. For a moment she was completely mesmerized. If not for the ruckus behind her, she may have stood there forever looking into those memorizing eyes. However, propriety overruled her emotions. Besides there were more pressing matters to deal with at the moment. She took a deep breath, stepped out of the beautiful mans arms, and turned to the Abbess to speak.

"Abbess Helen you must come right away!" She pleaded. "It's Sister Anne and Henry, they were set upon in the stables."

Abbess Helen gasped, and hurried towards the door. Arabella, the Duke and his man followed. As they headed out the door towards the stables.

When they arrived at the stables it was to find Henry and Sister Anne distressed and battered. They both had been knocked unconscious, gagged, and tied up.

Arabella and the Abbess assisted Sister Anne, while the Duke and Mr. Jones walked Henry into the Abbey. They were both immediately put to bed and tended to by the nuns. Henry hadn't seen a thing, both had been ambushed from behind. However, beforehand, Sister Anne had seen a cloaked figure entering the stables. She had called out, but when she recieved no answer she went inside out of concern. Unfortunately she didnt remember anything after that.

********

The man was angry. He threw Jemmy to the floor and kicked him in the side. Jemmy didn't cry out though, he had recieved worse from his own father. He was afraid though. The man was raging mad. He kept calling Jemmy his pawn, whatever that meant. He also said he would kill him if Arabella didn't come for him. Jemmy didn't understand, why would he want to hurt Arabella. Arabella was kind, smart, and pretty. She was his friend, and the closest thing to a real mother he would ever have. He wouldn't let this man use him to hurt her. One thing he did know, he needed to get away. He needed to warn Arabella and save her from this mean man. Only problem was he didn't know where he was. It was growing dark and he was afraid of the dark. He was also very hungry.