Chapter 19

Malveen Dubious was just exiting the library. He watched as the Count followed the butler towards the back of the house. The Duke had been gone for a week now, had he returned, he wondered. Curious he followed in their wake. He stepped back into a cove when he seen the man from the stables meet them at the door. Strange he wondered, why was the Count meeting with this man in private? Was it something to do with his missing niece? The Count didn't inform him that he was hiring an investigator. He usually had him handle such affairs. Hearing voices coming towards him, he quickly ducked back into the cove. The door opened up to reveal the Count. The Count sounded too jovial to have recieved bad news. Had they learned of his nieces whereabouts? he wondered. He strained to hear the conversation, however all he could make out was the stranger's voice. He said the Duke would be coming home tomorrow. Well, fumed Malveen, it looked like their absentee host would finally be returning home to his guests.

Now, he mused, maybe he would be able to attend to some unfinished business. He was rather exhausted having to squire his aunt and uncle around, not to mention searching for his dear, long lost niece. He had bigger plans for his future, and he needed to get back to France before time ran out. Yes, he rubbed his hands together in glee, it was a good thing the Duke was coming back home. A very good thing indeed. He waited for the hall to clear, headed for the stables to leave Asterley Park. What he didn't know was, he was being watched.

Jamison spied Malveen duck into the shadowed cove after the Count entered the parlour. He thought it very curious indeed. Why was the Counts nephew hiding his presence. "Very curious indeed," he thought. When the Dukes man appeared in the kitchens he informed him of Malveen's strange behavior. Not that it was alarming, he'd been in service his entire life, and the peerage was known to be a little on the peculiar side. Who was he after all to question his betters. However, the Duke was like family to Jamison. As long as he was around, no funny business was going to happen in his house, absolutely not. Certainly not by some nefarious Frenchie, who was up to no good. Jamison was a good judge of character, and there was something he just didn't like about that man. His suspicions were confirmed however. He heard Mr. Jones tell one of his men, who had been watching the house, to follow the Frenchman. Yes, Jamison knew about the men watching Asterley Park, servants knew everything. The peerage tended to forget they were even around, except for the Duke and dowager of course. They treated their servants more like family. Jamison himself had lived at Asterley all his life. This was his home and he was fiercely loyal to the Pembertons. Something was definately afoot. For that reason alone, he would keep watch and be there to lend his assistance. He may be old, he thought to himself, but in his day he was quite the pugilist. He still had a few tricks up his sleeve. Squaring his shoulders and standing tall once again, he began issuing orders to the staff. They needed to get ready for the Dukes return home.

Count Dubois entered his room to find his Countess waiting for him. She was still the most beautiful woman he had ever laid eyes on. His daughter Evangeline was the only one to have been equally as beautiful. He wondered if his granddaughter looked like her predecessor's. If the Duke was right, and this Arabella Smith was his grandaughter then he would soon find out. Seeing the look of worry cross his wifes face, the Count gathered her into his arms. "Ah, Mon Che'ri, I'm afraid I have good and bad news."

The Countess looked up into her husband's face and watched as a tear slid down his cheek. "What is it mon amour, what is this news that makes you weep?

"It is our granddaughter che'ri." The Duke believes he has found her and is bringing her too us tomorrow."

I don't understand, this is wonderful news, non? Yet you say you have bad news too, is that why you are not happy?

The Count nodded in reply, then he said, "If the Duke is correct, then it is our dear Malveen who has kept her from us all these years."

"Non!" Cried the Countess. "It can not be!" I will not believe, not my sweet Malveen. He is like a son to us Phillip. There must be some mistake, he would never hurt us so."

The Count gathered his Countess in his arms once again and murmered reassuring words in her ear. He prayed the Duke was wrong about Malveen. The betrayal would kill his sweet Giselle.

Hope you stay till the end, please dont forget to vote or leave a comment! ❤