Chapter 1

Salisbury, England 1833
Saint Anne's Abbey

It was a beautiful spring day, the flowers were blooming, the sun was shining bright, and the birds were chirping. Arabella picked up her book from her bedside table, slipped on her shoes, and headed outside to read.

She walked through the Abbeys garden stopping a minute to smell the roses. Continuing on, she opened the old metal gate that led to the pasture. She had to be careful where she stepped however, or her satin slippers would be ruined. Though honestly they probably already were from the dirt and grass stains.

She loved the Spring most of all, as the fragrant aroma of lavender, roses, and fresh sithed grass permeated the air. She also loved the quietness of the country, surrounded by nothing but nature. Most of all she loved the rainy days. She didn't know why, but for some reason the rain comforted her. She walked through the orchard where she stopped to pluck a juicy red apple. She took a bite and savored the sweetness of the fruit, as the juice ran down her chin. She wiped at it with the tip of her gloved finger, another pair ruined she thought, as she examined the tip.

Finally at her destination she sat down in her favorite spot near the lake. She liked to relax underneath the old oak she climbed as a child, and listen as the water ebbed by. Removing her bonnet she raised her face to the sun taking in the cool, slight breeze against her skin, then she closed her eyes and leaned back againt the tree's massive trunk.

It wasn't ten minutes into her reverie however, before she heard someone yelling her name. She looked around her to see who it was, but the tree blocked her sight. She would have to stand up, she sighed. Shielding her eyes, she looked in the direction of the Abbey. She heard the voice once again, this time louder.

"Arabella!" "Arabella!" The voice cried. It echoed throughout the grounds of the Abbey. She was quite sure it was loud enough to interupt prayer time.

"Oh dear," she whispered aloud. I wonder what the little imp Jemmy has gotten himself into this time?

Instead of waiting to be found, Arabella retrieved her book from the ground and headed back. She would see what all the fuss was about and return to her solace later.

When she entered the abbey she couldn't believe what was in front of her. It wasn't at all what she was expecting. In the foyer stood five small children, ranging from three to ten. Each one of them were covered head to toe in hay and a foul smelling substance. Good gracious, she thought. The stench alone was enough to make her eye's tear up.

"What in heavens name is going on here?" She asked the group before her. All eyes looked up at her with worry and excitement. Then the chaos unfolded.

All at once the chidren began to rattle off their story. Arabella couldn't make heads or tails of what they were saying as everyone in the room was talking, even sister Anne, and Henry the stable master decided to chime in. Arabella feeling a headache coming on gave a shrill whistle to quite them all. It wasn't very lady like, however desperate times called for desperate measures, she surmised. Besides it usually produced the desired effect with the children, except that is on one, Jemmy.

Jemmy was a sweet, yet precocious eight year old boy. He had a propensity for getting into trouble wherever he went. He wasn't a bad child, just a little too curious for his own good. This normally caused many undesired results for him, as well as his accomplices.

He was one of the foundlings brought to the Abbey at a young age. He was quite the little character, and charmer when he needed to be. He was small, yet gangly, with brown shaggy hair, big blue eyes, and dimples on each side of his cheeks. Like most of the children who lived there, herself included, he was raised at the abbey.

Arabella loved all the children, how could she not, she had a hand in raising them after all. She thought of them as her younger siblings since she had no family of her own. Jemmy nontheless held a special place in her heart. At the moment however, he was trying her patience to no end. He was jumping up and down, flailing his arms around, tossing manure all over the place. Arabella wrinkled her nose, and stepped back to avoid getting splattered as well.

Jemmy continued his squawking as the other children bounced up and down beside him. He was ever so animated, she mused, stifling a giggle. Something about a cloaked stranger skulking around the Abbey. From what she was able to comprehend, the children had chased the mysterious man through the pasture. Well she thought, that would explain their appearance, and the ghastly smell.

Arabella decided it was time to take hold of the situation and calm everyone down, especially Jemmy. She hated to chastise the boy for his behaviour but it was necessary at times.

After her reprimand, she promptly ordered all of them outside to be washed. If she allowed them to stay any longer they would completely destroy the foyer with their stench and manure.

"But Arabella," cried Jemmy!

"No excuses young man!" Said Arabella, after we have cleaned this mess up and everyone has calmed down, then we will discuss this further. Do I make myself clear?"

Feeling properly admonished they bowed their heads and murmered their answer in defeat. "Yes ma'am," they said.

All five children turned around and headed outside as Sister Anne and Henry ushered them out. Arabella went to the kitchen to collect clean towels and a bar of soap. While there, she donned an apron, instructed cook to ready lunch, and sent an undermaid to clean up the foyer. She then headed outside to assist the nuns in cleaning off the children. Not an easy task as the children disliked bathing or any part of soap and water. Unless of course they were swimmimg in the lake. Then she usually had to drag them out of the water. Well she thought, at least they wouldn't need bathes tonight. She proceeded down the steps with soap in hand determined to finish this task quikly. The faster she got the children cleaned and settled, the faster she would get answers to the events of this day. Arabella poured a bucket of water over Jemmy's head and began to scrub, as Jemmy sputtered in protest.

They were all so caught up in the task at hand, none of them were aware they were being observed by another.

If you like it so far please vote! Or leave a comment