Chapter 3

The Duke of Pemberton, Lord Alexander Asterly, was quite dashing. He was tall and lean, yet muscular due to his daily rounds of fencing, and boxing at Gentleman Jims. His Dark brown hair was worn just above his shoulders, often secured by a ribbon in a que. His eyes were a beautiful grey, almost silver color, some had remarked. He was highly regarded as one of the seasons prime candidates for marriage, by the tons match making mothers. The young ladies swooned at the sight of him, and the married ladies propositioned him. He had no use for any of them.

At the mere age of five and twenty, he had no inclination to settle down, at least not anytime soon. He prided himself as a man of leisure, a gentleman, a regular man about town. He loved to man the reigns of his curricle, and run around town with his friends. Life was simple for the wealthy young Duke, and he preferred it that way.

Until lately that was. He was perfectly happy attending his clubs with friends, racing his thoroughbreds, and visting his latest mistress, Daphne. Only something was missing, he was starting to feel restless, bored even. After all he hadn't even visited Daphne in two weeks, he just wasn't interested of late. Not interested in sex, what the Hell was wrong with him.

He knew the reason of course. Two weeks ago is when he met her. Since that day he hadn't been able to focus on anything or anyone else. He was beguiled, enchanted, smitten.

Which is why he was here. He hadn't necessarily come to relax in the high back leather chair, or to partake in the best brandy London had to offer. He was there to meet someone. That someone being, his best friend and partner in crime since Eton, Viscount Waverly, Jonathon Sutton III to be precise. The Viscount was bringing an aquaintence from Bow Street that may possibly, be able to find his mystery lady.

After the runaway carriage that had nearly run over the woman who invaded his thoughts and dreams, night and day, he had began worry for her safety. He was beginning to think it wasn't an accident at all. The near fatal shooting at his person, while he had been in Salisbury asking questions, prompted him to recruit reinforcements.

A commotion at the front of the club caught his attention. It was Jonathon. He was entering with another gentleman, a very young looking gentleman, Alex observed. He looked no older than twenty-one, maybe twenty-two summers. Most certainly not old enough to be a detective. However, Jonathon highly recommended him. He said he was the best in the business, and Alex needed the best for this undertaking.

The young man wasn't dressed shabbly, however Alex felt almost certain he was being denied entrance due to his less then elegant attire. A tailored coat and exceptionally tied cravat were the required garments to enter a gentlemans club. Exceptions made only for higher standing aristocrats such as Dukes, like himself. Therefore Alexander would have to intervene on his behalf.

"Johnathon!" The Duke greeted, extending his hand to his friend. "So glad you could make it. How are you old chap, how is your dear mother?" With that said the doorman stood down with an insulted sniff to the air, and allowed Johnathon and his friend to enter.

Lord Jonathan clasped his friends hand in acceptance, and replied with a chuckle, "she is as demanding and waspish as always."

The Duke laughed at his friends statement. "Nagging you on about marraige again is she?" the Duke questioned, raising an inquiring eyebrow.

The Viscount ignored his friends teasing comment, as he knew the Duke was also being prodded by his own match making mother, the Dowager Duchess. He then turned towards the man at his side, a tall, dark headed young man by the name of Marcus Jones.

"Mr. Jones, allow me the pleasure of introducing you to my dear friend Lord Alexander Asterley, the Duke of Pemberton."

Marcus bowed to the Duke, "A pleasure to make your acquaintance Lord Asterley, Marcus Jones at your service. I hear you may be in need of some help?"

"I do indeed, and the pleasure is all mine Mr. Jones, thank you for coming on such short notice."

"Say no more, your Grace, I owe Lord Sutton here a favor or two. What is it you would like me to do?"

The Duke gestured for the two men to sit and motioned a servant over for refreshment. When they were all settled and served, he proceeded to inform the gentleman of the past two week's incidents. He started with the beautiful girl and the carraige accident that almost killed her.

"Bloody hell Alex!" Exclaimed the Viscount, you could have been killed yourself. Why are you are just telling me this now?"

Feeling guilty and slightly embarrassed for not telling his friend, Alexander bowed his head and apologized.

"I'm sorry Johnathan, I really didnt think there was any danger until I started asking questions. Only when I was nearly shot, did I start to wonder that my life could in danger. Although, I'm almost certain the shot was simply a warning to stay away. Which lead me to wonder if the young lady is in danger herself. Someone is going to great lengths to keep me from finding her.

"Is this young woman truly worth risking your life for, Alexander?" asked Jonathon. "I mean you no disrespect, however you dont even know who she is."

Feeling a little flushed and chargianed, Alexander nodded his agreement of Johnathans statement. He had a point, however Alexander couldnt get the beautiful slip of a girl out of his head, his thoughts continously straying back to her. Those twinkling blue eyes and soft full lips. Her hair looked as if it was spun of gold, cascading in curls down her back. She had quite captivated him. Alexander knew he was a lost cause. Until he found her, he would not get her out of his head.

Blinking back from his thoughts, and finishing his tale, the Duke dismissed Mr. Jones with instructions on where to contact him. He then removed himself from his club and proceeded to Whites with Johnathon, he needed a diversion from his thoughts. Thoughts of golden hair trailing down smooth, velvety soft breasts....

Dont forget to vote!!