Chapter 2

Abbess Helen stood at the top of the stairs. She was watching the scene downstairs unfold with a frown on her face, and fear in her heart. This was the second incident this month. The second time that a stanger was caught snooping around the Abbey. She watched silently as Arabella took matters in hand. Once again she was able to divert the children's attention from the days events. Arabella had a knack with them that nobody else at the Abbey could duplicate. Perhaps it was because she was able to relate with them, as she was one of them as well. But the Abbess knew it was much more than that. Arabella was special. In fact no one but her knew just how special she really was.

It had been seventeen years since the beautiful babe with pale golden curls, and twinkling blue eyes came to Saint Anne's. The child had charmed them all, even the tough as nails Sister Joanna. The old curmudgeon was very hard to please, but deep down she had a kind heart, and Arabella had managed to reach it.

The child had arrived at St. Anne's with nothing but the clothes on her back, a golden rattle, and a cryptic poem, as well as the basket she was found in. A letter from the Bishop in France was also enclosed.

The letter simply asked that the Abbess protect the child and raise her at the Abbey. The bishop had instructed the Abbess to give the rattle and poem to Arabella on her 18th year. He claimed that all would be revealed to her then, but only as long as it was safe to do so. For years the Abbess had tried to understand what the poem meant, but to no avail. She knew next to nothing about Arabellas past, except for what the Bishop had told her. She took an oath before God that day, that she would keep her secret until the time came to tell the child. So she kept Arabella safe for seventeen years and raised her at the Abbey.

However, she raised Arabella as a lady, not as a typical foundling. She was tutored in all the subjects befitting her station. She was taught alocution, the pinaforte, vocals, dance, needlework, and of course gentile manners. She also learned to run a household, if her talents in running the abbey were any indication. Whenever Arabella was around the Abbey ran as smooth as silk. The Abbess had no skills for housekeeping or Household Management, her duty was serving the Lord. In fact she really didnt know how the Abbey survived so long without Arabellas keen hand. Her talents were just another clue to Arabellas real heritage.

The Abbess knew she came me from a predominant family, the letter from the Bishop told her as much, however he refused to divulge anything further. So she made sure that Arabella would be ready for when that day came, the day she would return to her place in society.

From that day forward, a kindhearted soul the Abbess, decided that her mission in this life would be to keep not only Arabella safe, but all the abandoned children tossed in the streets. It was God's calling for her, she had determined after much prayer and reflection. Saint Anne's became a haven for those unwanted souls.

Most of the children who came to her were abandoned due to poverty. Others were noblemans by- blows. Children of servant girls led astray by the sons of nobility, and then turned out of their jobs for having the audacity to become pregnant. Most couldnt afford to keep their child, as their families shunned them for bringing shame upon their name. Many of the girls were forced to labor on their backs. A very sad life for both mother and child, thought the Abbess.

With a sigh, the Abbess turned back and made her way slowly towards the chapel. She needed to pray, for she knew God would provide the answers that she needed now. Hopefully the lord would answer them all soon. She had an uneasy feeling that something terrible was going to happen. It was after all Arabellas 18th year. The year that all would be revealed.

She kneeled in front of the alter, crossed her chest, and prayed. Our father who art in heaven.......