A Simple Melody ♬ Chapter Twelve - Detention

Start from the beginning

          "Right." I smiled thinly.

          "Oh, by the way, we haven't talked about our song yet." She said as I gave her a puzzled look. "You know, the song that we have to compose for our composing class. We haven't done it yet, and we have to perform next class."

          "Mm..." I hummed.

          "I think we should really work on it. I mean, how hard can it be right? Everyone in class has been saying that we'd be the best because of your wicked guitar skills." Des smiled as she rinses one of the plates.

          "But a guitar alone can't do much." I replied without looking up. "You have to contribute with your wicked music skills."

          "Me? Well what skills do I have?" she asked.

          "I dunno. What do you think you have?" I asked her back, feeling reluctant to answer her question as it was already so obvious. "You can sing while playing the piano, something that most people can't do since it requires a lot of concentration and focus to multitask."

          "Oh that, well that's different, I've been doing that since I'm young. It takes practice. But I only do covers." She frowned as I thought for a moment. "Besides, you don't really want me to sing right?"

          "Why not?" I shrugged. "You sing well."

          "You really think so?" she beamed brightly with that little spark of hope in her eyes.

          I can never understand why Des things so lowly of herself when she really is one of the most talented people I've ever met. It seems like she hardly believes the strength of her ability and how many doors are opened to her because of that. It's funny why such a talent like her will have such little self-confidence...

          Maybe it's because she lost in the audition.

          "Mitch, Train, what are you two doing here?!" A sharp ear-piercing voice exploded out of nowhere. In came Gigi along with her theme song of terror.

          Both Mitch and I exchanged glances as Scarlett and Des stood still, staring and communicating through eye contact.

          "What on earth are you two doing, washing dishes?!" she screamed as she tosses one plate into the sink angrily. "We have band practice today!"

          "But it's a Monday, practices are on Tuesdays and Thursdays only." Mitch stated.

          "No, we have practice today. My mom's manager wants to see us perform today and I am not making them wait." She demanded.

          "Gigi, we're in detention." I said sternly.

          "What detention? Why are you two in detention?" she said disbelievingly. "It must be you!"

          "Huh?" Des responded alertly.

          "You got them into this, you made them have detention on purpose didn't you?!" she stormed. "Why? Is it because you want to make us look like fools in front of VIPs, or are you just jealous because I got the scholarship and you failed? Are you plotting a revenge using my guys?!"

          I could immediately make out the hurt and sadness in her eyes when Gigi mentioned the audition.

          "Your guys in detention had nothing to do with me..." Des mumbled.

          "Gi, this isn't what you think-" Mitch raced to explain but to no avail.

          "I saw you earlier in the hallway this morning! You were purposely talking to Train just to drag time so you guys would be late-"

          "Gigi listen-"

          "-are you trying to sabotage me-"

          "Gigi!"

          The whole room was silent. I stared straight into a pair of cold eyes as the tension began to rise.

          "T-Train? What's wrong with you?" Gigi trembled. "Why did you yell at me like that?"

          Silence now.

          I simply ignored her question and avoided eye contact. It wasn't my intention to raise my voice, it wasn't my role to shut her up, I just did it absentmindedly.

          "I see. So you guys want to stay here with Des instead of me." She muttered. "Fine, if that's what you want."

          She turned her backs on us and strode out of the cafeteria, leaving the four of us speechless in our own world. Thousands of things are running in and out of my mind now, but neither one of them can make the situation better.

          The sound of clashing glass plates could be heard as the others continued with their cleaning. Out from the corner of my eye I spotted little amount of tears gathering in her eyes as she tries her best to hold them back, trying to act nonchalant, trying to be okay.

          I resisted the urge to ask her if she was fine, when it was most obvious that she wasn't. If only people knew, that one audition had affected her entire life.

          Picking up the wooden spatula I began scraping the remains off the plates again as I tried to occupy myself, as I tried to prevent the past from flooding back into my mind, as I tried to shove the guilt aside...again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, before I go off...

I'm sure most of you guys are familiar with the way I write and post stories. Starting from the next chapter I will be doing The Dedication Project, whereby each chapter I will dedicate to a fellow reader/follower of the story by voting or commenting etc. It's my way of expressing my thanks :D Right now I already have a few names in mind xD

And one final thing...I'm sorry guys for the constant change of casts D: I know, why can't I just decide on one cast? Well, I'm officially sealing the cast list now, which means there'll be absolutely no more changes! I'm sorry for all the change previously ): promise it won't happen again!

Okay, I'll BRB xD BYE. Please vote and comment xD

imperfectdreamer.