Chapter 25

Noah's POV

I waited outside the door to Harper's room as she changed into warmer clothes for her trip. Why is it girls take so long just to put on clothes? It's not that complicated. Either way, I was just glad that everything had been settled at Kate's party last night. At first, when she was so upset and angry in the mall, I was worried that Kate had told her about the history we have. After last night, though, I know that wasn't it, thankfully. She did not share exactly what it is that made her upset, but obviously, it wasn't that. What girl could keep quiet when they learn about the notches on your belt?

The door opened and Harper came out, silencing my thoughts with how beautiful she looks in her black pants and a gray sweater. Her dark chocolate brown hair was perfectly swept back behind her ears and hanging to the small of her back, framing her face wonderfully. I couldn't help the smile that broke on my face as I took her into my arms, smelling her sweet familiar scent. I'm gonna miss this. She pulled back after a moment, smiling at me, though it didn't reach her eyes. It must be that she's sad about leaving. "Hey," I caught her attention, putting my fingers under her chin. "Don't worry; I'll be right here when you get back.

"I know you will," Harper said, taking my hand as we walked back down to the foyer. As we did, I noticed one of the servants looking at us. It was a guy, I think Harper told me his name was John or Jeff or something like that. He looked jealous, but as soon as I saw it, he returned to looking focused as he loaded Harper and Connie's things into the car. I didn't really mind that he was jealous. Who wouldn't be, when I have a girl as amazing as Harper?

"Have fun while I'm gone," Harper said as she gave me one last hug and then climbed into the passenger seat of her car. I watched as that guy sat in the driver's seat, his face blank. "Don't have too much fun without me," I teased Harper. Then I turned my attention to the guy.

"Hey, your name is Jeff, right?" I asked. Harper rolled her eyes and smiled. "His name is Jeffrey," she corrected.

"Ah, right," I said, not really caring. "Well Jeff, take care of my girl for me. Don't forget to keep your hands to yourself."

"Noah," Harper reprimanded. Jeffrey said nothing, but instead just stared on with that blank stare. "Doesn't he talk?" I asked Harper. She rolled her eyes. "No, he does not. Now leave him alone, Noah. God, you're so rude sometimes."

"You know you love me!"

"Yeah, sure. See you next week."

"Bye, have fun!"

I watched as Jeff drove off with Harper, Connie following in her company truck carrying most of the things as well as the maid Lucy. I know Harper will be safe with them, even though I'm a bit skeptical of that Jeffrey guy. Boy, am I going to miss her?

I drive myself home soon after, and thirty minutes later I walk into a nearly empty house. The only person here is Landon. I try to just go to my room without catching Landon's attention, but he heard me climbing up the steps. "Noah, wait," Landon called out. I turned around, halfway up the steps, and looked at my brother. He stopped at the base of the stairs and looked up at me, his eyes full of sorrow.

"Noah, I'm really sorry for what I did to you and Harper," Landon apologized, this time sounding truly sincere. "I was being stupid and immature, and I should have never done what I did."

"Yeah, you shouldn't have," I agreed.

"Noah, please forgive me," Landon pleaded, looking at me with apologetic eyes. "I want my brother back. I want you to stop hating me. Please, please, is there any way you can forgive me for what I did?"

I fought with myself. Instinct told me to tell him, no, but the part of me that still loves my brother says that I should forgive him. I looked at him, and I knew for sure that he wasn't faking this. Add that on top of the fact that he defended me against mom, you can tell this is coming from him, not mom. He really is sorry for what he did now.