Chapter 18

Harper's POV

I waited in front of the school, waiting for the chauffeur to arrive. The bell had just rung, and it's a long way from here to Connie's mansion, so I didn't expect him to come for another ten, maybe fifteen minutes.

I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around and saw one of the girls from Noah's table there. Jade, I think. She had long brown hair, hazel eyes, and light brown skin. She tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear before straightening and looking at me with a smile.

"Hey. Harper, right?" she asked. I nodded cautiously. She continued on. "I-um, I just wanted to know if maybe, I don't know, you wanted to hang out sometime? I mean, we're going to be seeing a lot of each other, so might as well be friends, right?"

I smiled genuinely. "Yeah, sure! Here, let me just give you my number," I said eagerly as I fished out my phone. We exchanged numbers real quickly.

"Alright," Jade said with a smile. "So I'll uh, text you whenever I'm free to hang out."

I nodded. "Alright, that sounds good."

Our conversation lulled, both of us trying to think of what to say. "So," Jade continued, "Who are you waiting for?"

"My chauffeur," I said as I looked around the parking lot. "I just moved out of my house today, and they needed to use my car for loading our stuff and taking it to our new place."

"Oh, cool." Jade said, nodding her head. "Who's moving into the new house with you?"

"My mom," I said, not realizing what I had just called Connie until it came out. I just called Connie my mom... I've never done that before.

Jade nodded again, oblivious to the feelings I had inside at the moment. "That's cool. Is it a big house?"

I smiled. "I guess you could say that," I said slowly. "My new home is something you have to see to believe."

Jade raised her eyebrows suspiciously. "Huh, I guess I'll just have to see it for myself one day then."

I smiled, happy that I have a new friend. I heard a honk behind me, and turned around to see a limo coming our way. The kids in school that hadn't left yet were gawking at it. I turned back towards Jade, who was staring at it the same way as the other kids.

"Well, my ride is here," I said, snapping her back to attention. "I'll see you later, okay?"

She nodded, looking at me with awe and wonder. I strutted my way to the limo, trying not to notice the way people were staring at me. By then, the chauffuer had come out and walked around, standing by the door. He looked over at me with a smile.

"Miss Johnson, I presume?" He asked in an english accent.

"Yes, that's me." I said confidently as he opened the door. "And what's your name?"

"John Stoix, miss," he replied, tipping his head slightly. I nodded my head in return before slipping into the limo. I looked out the window and saw that nearly everyone was staring at us, or rather, me. I know I'm not going to hear the end of this by tomorrow.

The ride to my new home was long, but I wouldn't say it was boring. I was able to finish my homework, read a book, and drink apple cider all the way to my house. If it weren't for how much people stare at me, I wouldn't mind this being my means of transportation. I lived a wealthy life with Steve; now I'm living a millionaire's life.

When I felt the limo lull to a stop, I placed a bookmark on where I was in my book and unbuckled my seatbelt. John opened the door for me, and I slid out, thanking him as I did. I walked up the driveway, looking around at all the servants roaming around the grounds. I don't think I'll get used to the thought of people serving me so thoroughly.