Girls vs. Boys (19) - Boo!

Start from the beginning

“Jordan, if you don’t go, you’re grounded,” my mother threatened now. I could tell that she was very stressed out, which she always was whenever we were late or something wasn’t going her way…

I bit the inside of my lip, surprised by what she had said. I hadn’t ever been grounded before; not ever in my life. I didn’t even know what it was like to be grounded. And I really didn’t want to find out anytime soon.

“Fine!” I shouted, sick and tired of fighting with them now. “I’ll go, okay? But don’t expect me to be all happy about being near him. Because I’m not about to forgive or forget anything that he did to me!”

I headed toward the front door, right by my mother. She grabbed onto my shoulder before I could get outside. “Can’t you change into something more… pretty?”

“No,” I deadpanned, obviously not amused. “I’m going, aren’t I?”

My mother took this into consideration and didn’t fight with me about it any longer. She sighed, placing her hand more lightly on my shoulder and leading me out of the house before I could change my mind, which I was seriously considering doing.

I didn’t care if my family was wearing nice, elegant clothing that people were supposed to wear at graduations while I wore a grungy old T-shirt and jeans. It didn’t matter to me what I looked like in front of Dallas anymore…

“Don’t worry, Jord,” Austin sighed as we piled into the back of the car, his arm wrapping around my shoulder before squeezing me tightly. “You won’t even have to see him or Trinity. Everything will be fine.”

But I didn’t agree with him. This was going to be the first time I was going to be near Dallas since the prom, and I wasn’t looking forward to it. My parents might have thought that it was time to forgive and forget, but I didn’t think that that time would ever come.

When we got to the school, it made me really happy that my parents had enough money to send me to a school as great as Adeline. It might have been an all-girls school, but it got me away from both Jesse and Dallas, which was really what I needed most of the time. If I had to go to the same school as them, I probably would have dropped out.

I wasn’t allowed to sit down right away; I had to stand there and say hello to Dallas’s parents to be polite. But they were really one of the last people I wanted to see. Dallas’s father looked just like him, only older, and his mother was a pretty blonde like Trinity. From far away or behind, you would have thought that they were Dallas and Trinity from the future…

“Jordan!” Dallas’s mother smiled, squeezing my shoulders tightly as she hugged me. “It’s so great to see you! We haven’t seen you at all in ages! How come you and Austin never come over anymore?”

Did they seriously not even know what Dallas had done only a month before? Did he not share anything with his parents or did he not want them to know how much of a screw-up he was? I was growing angrier and angrier as every second passed, but Austin seemed to be the only one who noticed it.

“Joy,” Dallas’s father said, referring to his wife. “You remember what happened.”

The look on Dallas’s mother’s face told me that she in fact did remember what had happened, and I almost scowled at her. How could someone forget something like that?

“I’m sorry, Jordan,” Dallas’s mother now apologized, placing a hand over her heart as she frowned at me. “I shouldn’t have reminded you of something so horrible like that. I assure you, Dallas is very sorry for what he did to you.”

That didn’t mean I was going to forgive him. I had forgiven Dallas for a lot of stupid things that he had done in the past, but now it was different. He hadn’t ever done anything this horrible to me before. He had cut my hair, ripped up my clothes, and even physically hurt me before when we were children, but this was different.