Chapter 37: Dinner with the fam

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, no, we can do it today." I was just about to tell him to come over, but I didn't want him to see me like this or my room in this mess. Besides, maybe, having to pull myself together and go over to his house could actually do me some good. "Can you come pick me up?"

"I'll be there in 20."

\\\\\

He kept his promise and didn't arrive at my house later than 20 minutes after our phone call. It gave me enough time to somewhat snap out of it and freshen up. I forced my eyes to stay open as I made my way downstairs. I was still dressed in a pair of comfy leggings, but had thrown on an oversized hoodie so my butt wasn't on display plus the hoodie was warm and cozy. I'd drained a cup of coffee before his arrival which didn't help much, but was all I could think of to get me awake. I exited my house and entered his car in less than a minute.

"Hey." We greeted each other at the same time. He smiled and, after forcing all my tired facial muscles to work, I managed one as well. Barely. We spent the ride to his house in a comfortable silence which I was beyond grateful for.

"We should be alone," he informed me as we made our way to his front door and inside his massive house. I nodded. "They should be home soon though and I don't really know much about Sophie's location so she'll surprise us, I guess." He called out after he shut the door and for one full minute it was dead silent in the mansion. Then he turned to me with a smile. "You want anything? Water, soda? Or are you hungry?"

I shook my head and he led me upstairs and into his room. It was three times bigger than my bedroom, I think.

A large king size bed was pushed against one wall while a dresser and a massive closet was shoved against the one opposite. There was somewhat of a sitting area close to two huge windows, overlooking the garden. A sturdy wooden shelf decorated one side of the room, placed on it was an enormous flat screen. A large brown sofa stood a few paces away from the TV. Positioned against the wall opposite the windows was his desk, a brand new Apple computer drawing attention to itself. His room was like a bedroom and living room at once.

"Nice room," I commented, my voice still a little thick.

"Thanks."

"No problem. So, how about we start and get some reading done?"

He nodded. "Take a seat." He gestured around his room at all the places available. I contemplated to sit on his bed, but then reconsidered since it would probably just make me more drowsy. Instead, I opted on a comfy looking chair close to the window. He made himself comfortable on his bed, sitting upright against the headboard, his outstretched legs crossed at the ankles.

We started reading where we last ended. I slipped out of my shoes a little while later and placed my feet on the cushioned seat as well, my legs pressing against my front. It was somewhat comfortable spending time like this. Talking, but without actually speaking words on my mind. It was a relief to step back and let someone other than me lead my life... or theirs actually.

We were reading through scene after scene, time turning to a slow crawl as we fell deeper and deeper into character. Slowly, our lives were overcome with the story of theirs, our minds filled with their words, our hearts enveloped in their feelings.

There was a pause in our dialogue when we read the teller in silence like we usually did. However, together with the silence, our atmosphere was broken when the door to his bedroom burst open. Both our heads jerked up as Sophie sauntered in. "Ale-" she broke off when she saw me, snapping her mouth shut immediately. Her eyes darted to Ryan's in panic. He glared at her.

Confused, I cleared my throat after a minute ticked by in silent staring-they both seemed to have been frozen in place-and drew their attention, pulling them out of their stupor.