Thirty-Three

Renesme

I stirred my lucky charms around in my bowl. Paul was going to show up soon, and I contemplated letting him in on the secret surprise. I had told him enough that I could swap bodies with my twin, but I wasn't sure how much he believed me that she was real. Maybe I should just let them figure it out themselves. It would be a lot more romantic that way.

So I closed my eyes and started focusing. I still wasn't sure how it all works. But I had been working hard at it for so long now, it was just something I had to feel out and hope for the best. When I opened my eyes again my face was shoved into a pillow and it had worked. She had been sleeping, and her pillow was wet with tears.

"Mi dispiace," someone said. I sat up so I could see who spoke. It was the man from the roof from a year and a half ago. Demetri. The Volturi's tracker.

I didn't know what he said. I really needed to start learning Italian if I was going to keep jumping into her body,goal was to make her come home, so it wasn't high on my priority list. Something told me he was the reason she was crying though. I probably should have just pretended to be asleep, but now I felt like I had to answer. No, I didn't know how to tell him to go away in Italian. He'd know something was wrong. So I figured I would just ignored him, and then he'd leave. So I lay back down.

"Stormy?" he said. I have no idea why he was speaking english all of a sudden. It wasn't even storming outside.

Maybe I just needed to get him to go away. If this conversation was important, than Amber had better do it herself. Besides, if I said something that made it worse, she'd get mad at me, and they'd get mad at her, and if they were mad at her, she'd be more likely to come home. "Leave me alone," I said.

There was a long silence before I heard him leave. I turned over to face the door that he left ajar in his haste. Maybe I could find Alec.

That's a weird thought. I hadn't seen him in years, not since he kissed me that one time. Although he thought I was Amber. I wondered if they were still dating. But I was curious, and he was the only Volturi member I liked even a little bit. Beside, it could be awhile before Paul and Amber were done talking. Hopefully it would be awhile. The longer they spent together the more attached they should get, and Amber would realize that she needed to come home. And I might as well do something while I'm here. I had just woken up from sleeping eight hours anyways. My brain was well rested.

So I got out of bed and I peeked out the doorway. How was I going to find him? I had absolutely no idea where he was, and this castle was a maze.

"Qui sono pronto a proteggerti con la mia vita e combattere tutti i malvagi lupi mannari che oserebbero mai farti del male." While my head was turned looking down one hallway, the boy I was looking for came up behind me. I had no idea what he just said, but I recognized his voice.

"English," I said.

He narrowed his eyes at me, but complied. "I've come to guard to guard you with my life and fight off all the evil werewolves that would ever dare to harm you." And then he handed me a warm mug. "Demetri sent me, he seemed pissed. Are you going to tell me what's going on between you two yet? I hope he hasn't tried to steal you affections from me."

He steered me back into the bedroom. I was too confused about the contents in the mug to worry about what he was saying. "Is this human blood?" I asked sniffing it. The smell was amazing.

"Duh, aren't you thirsty?" He stepped back, which only made me realize how close he was before. "You're not still hung up on eating human food, right?"

"Um." I didn't know how to answer that.

"It's okay. you don't need to say anything. You're prettier when you're not talking." He took the mug from my hands, dipped a finger in the blood and brought it up to my lips.