Chapter 11

"Last resort? I'd rather die than do what they want me to? Something about how they had no other choice? What does that mean?" Princess Alice asked the following morning while her maid prepped her for the day

"I have not the slightest clue Alice, but whatever it may be, it is nothing good," Maid Lydia answered as she filed the princess's nails.

"I don't understand why they feel the need to do it all for me. If mother would let me out more, I might be able to do some "Prince hunting" as she likes to call it, on my own," she complained. Maid Lydia hid her laugh at the Queen's obscene nicknames for Alice's situation.

"I'm sure it is something that can be made more to your liking," Lydia reassured her.

"I don't want them to make this decision for me, although I told my father exactly what kind of a man I wanted so if he did not like that, then that's no reason for them to decide to find someone completely different." It was Friday, Alice's last day of history and her mother would be quizzing her on the material she had learned.

"I-I don't know," Princess Alice stammered. Queen Rosalind sighed.

"What is it Alice? Why have you been distant? As much as you hated your lessons, you have managed to do quite well until it came for today," the Queen questioned.

"I have this feeling you and father are going to do something big and I'm not going to like it, but I will not have a choice in the matter and then it is going to turn into something really bad," Princess Alice spoke her mind. The King and Queen shared a worried look.

"Your father and I have talked and we think we have found a man for you, another Prince. However, he does not meet some of your standards," the Queen explained.

"I am sure anyone my father thinks is worthy enough for me after I told him what I wanted will be suitable enough for me," Alice replied.

"Well then! We have nothing to worry about," Queen Rosalind said cheerily, more to herself than anyone one else. Alice noticed her father still held a grave expression, but did not feel the need to question it.

After lunch, the Princess ran to her room and quickly changed into the simplest brown dress she had, the one she kept hidden from her mother because her mother would scream if she ever saw her daughter wear it. Alice quickly braided her hair as she ventured down her spiral stairs and through the castle halls until she reached the courtyard. "Hello," Princess Alice said when Captain Riley noticed her.

"Hi," he said panting. The young boy from the day before rushed to his side with a water jug.

"Hard day?" Alice teased. The Captain smiled as he sat back to catch his breath.

"You could say that. HEY SAM!" Captain Riley called with his hands raised to his lips to make his words louder. A ginger haired knight came strolling through the crowd of men.