Chapter 9

Princess Alice changed into a casual light blue gardening dress and her riding boots. She put her hair in a hair net accessory to keep it out of the way. "All clear?" Alice quietly called from the top of the stairs.

"All clear!" Maid Lydia called back, her voice echoing up the stairway. Alice sat on the edge of the shiny, stone stair banister and slid down, enjoying the feeling.

"I'll be back for tea at four and if I'm not, then come for me," Alice told Lydia. Princess Alice entered the Royal Courtyard and rolled her sleeves, but was having trouble getting her sleeves to stay where she wanted them.

"Let me help you with that," Larry said as he rushed over.

"Thank you...um."

"Larry."

"Thank you Larry," Alice said.

"There ya go, those sleeves won't be going anywhere now," Larry smiled.

"Princess!" Captain Riley called from a sword fight, "I'll be right with you as soon as I finish this sword fight." Alice watched with the other knights as the youngest boy was gaining on the Captain. However, Captain Riley quickly gained the advantage. "You're getting better, but watch that arm," he instructed. Thomas nodded and the one of the older knights led him away for water.

"Wow," Alice breathed.

"Yeah, Captain Riley beats everybody in combat," Larry said, "Your chance is coming Princess, be prepared," and went back to training.

"Making some friends I see?" the Captain smiled as he caught a cloth that was thrown his way.

"Yes, Larry is the only one that has talked to me so far," Alice said as Captain Riley wiped his sweaty face. Alice blushed when the Captain looked up to see her still staring at him.

"So, what lessons await me today?" she asked excitedly.

"Today you're going to learn how to fight using everything I have taught you so far," he answered, getting to his feet. 

"Where do we start?" Alice asked. Captain Riley went to kick Alice's face, but she squatted down to dodge it just in time. Captain Riley then tried an uppercut to which Alice leaned back and flipped sideways in mid air, landing again a foot away from him. He tried several more moves to which the Princess successfully dodged.

"Good, now lets practice those punches," the Captain suggested, stepping in front of Alice as she got into position. Alice suddenly realized what he wanted her to do.

"I am not going to punch you!" she exclaimed crossing her arms, gaining the attention of several of the knights.

"She needs some of these," one of the knights said as he threw a pair of padded gloves over.

"How else are you going to learn? I'm wearing armor anyway," the Captain pointed out, handing her the gloves. Alice hesitated, but put the gloves on and got back into position. She punched, but not very hard. The knights bursted out with laughter.

"What was that?" Captain Riley asked.

"I um, I punched you," she said quietly.

"You call that a punch? You have to put some muscle into it!" a tall knight laughed.

"Again," the Captain ordered. Alice didn't hold back this time and Captain Riley actually staggered back. "Better."

"What do you know? The Princess might actually have what it takes," the tall knight mumbled.

"Shut up Jacob!" another knight said. Alice smirked as she went to punch him again, but this time, Captain Riley grabbed her arm and spun it behind her back.