Chapter 12

Alice didn't sleep well that night, tossing and turning, not able to get comfortable at all

Alice didn't sleep well that night, tossing and turning, not able to get comfortable at all. She gave up and dressed herself for the day, letting her hair fly freely. The Princess quietly made her way down to the Royal Gardens, needing time to think about how to handle the situation. She already knew that no matter what, she would go against her mother's wishes and still continue to train. Besides, Alice found the company of the guards to be very relaxing and it was never a dull moment with them around. The Princess smiled to herself as she replayed the events of her last training session in her head. The way Captain Riley had smirked at her caused her to giggle and fill her heart with joy. Alice sighed knowing that the day would be must boring, since it was Sunday, and strolled through the garden, smelling every rose she could along the way. Eventually, she walked to the Grand Dining Hall for breakfast.

"How did you sleep?" King Bard asked as the royal family ate their pancakes together.

"Not well," the Princess answered, casting her eyes down to her food.

"Turn that frown upside down, we have found the Prince for you!" Queen Rosalind said.

"Really?! Who?" Princess Alice asked excitedly.

"You will have to wait to find out. It is a surprise, but he is quite handsome," the Queen responded. King Bard shared the optimistic smiles, but Alice felt her mother was all too happy about the end to "prince hunting." Then again, her mother has been trying to force her into marriage for a few months now, so Alice was sure it would relieve her parents to know that she would be taken care of.

Princess Alice enjoyed her last day of freedom by horseback riding, walking alone in her favorite section of the garden, training...again, and was most unruly when it came to trying to be a proper princess. But that was to be expected of her on the eve of meeting her supposed match.  Alice especially enjoyed her training. She had decided it would be ok for today with her parents busy with meetings and such since there would be big changes coming.

"Sorry Princess," the young boy apologized after bumping into Alice. Alice smiled sweetly.

"I've had several run ins with you lately, but have yet to be introduced. Please tell me, what is your name?" she asked.

"Thomas at your service Princess," he said with a most respectful bow. Alice laughed.

"There's no need to bow to me when I'm here on unofficial business, especially when I'm technically not supposed to be here in the first place. And look at me! I'm wearing such horrendous attire, I don't even look like royalty!" she joked. Thomas laughed along.

"If you don't mind me asking, why are you training?"

"The last time we were ambushed, I almost died and I felt like such a helpless scared little girl. I don't want to be that damsel in distress and since I will be Queen in a few months time, I need to become a strong leader. To me, that means being able to not only defend myself, but my kingdom as well," she explained. Thomas slowly nodded, leaning on his sword as he was clearly now in love with the princess.