Chapter 21

Princess Alice walked briskly though the castle walls and came to the armor room. Peering inside, her brow furrowed when she realized the Captain wasn't there. "Looking for someone?" Alice jumped.

"Do NOT  sneak up on me like that Jacob! Where is Captain Riley?" she asked authoritatively.

"He went to his quarters for the night," Jacob answered, clutching his helmet tighter, knowing the Princess was in a bad mood. Alice balled her hands into fists and looked down at herself in anger. "Are you alright?"

"Clearly I'm not," she snapped. She gave him an apologetic look before turning on her heel and walking slowly up her own stone steps. She collapsed on her cushy chair on the balcony, overlooking the courtyard. She propped her elbow up on the railing and let her head slump in her hand. "Why does Prince Menace have to be so, so full pf himself. Why does he delight in the suffering of others?" She was so deep in thought, she didn't hear the footsteps that entered into her room.

"Oh good! You are here! I had the most amazing night with Thomas. A real gentleman that one is, and oh my Alice! I think I am in love," Maid Lydia said animatedly.

"I am glad someone had a good night," Alice muttered, Lydia's cheery mood faded when she saw the upset Princess and heard her dreary tone. Lydia kneeled in front of Alice and put her hand gently over Alice's.

"What happened?" Maid Lydia asked softly.

"Prince Menace, that's what happened," she answered, "He ruined dinner and challenged Derek and I can't even talk to him and my parents are probably mad and I'm sure my mother will find some way to blame this whole thing on me because some how, everything is my fault." The Princess wiped a tear away. Maid Lydia grasped Alice's hand tighter.

"You are a strong lady and you can face anything because that is who you are. Do not let your parents or that miserable evil man downstairs get you in a bad mood. Rise above them and show them who is boss," Lydia advised. Alice turned to her Maid and put her free hand over hers.

"How would I ever get through this without you here to help me?" she smiled. Maid Lydia casually shrugged.

"I try me best," she said softly.

"Now tell me, how was disappearing with a member of the Royal Guard?" the Princess asked.

"Oh that," Maid Lydia blushed as the night played before her eyes again. "I have taken your lead and have decided that I would very much like to learn how to fight as well. Thomas has been teaching me everything he knows and sometimes, I mess up on purpose, just so I can feel his closeness while he helps me. While we were training today, Thomas asked me if I wanted to see the Kingdom since I have not been outside of these walls in ages. Of course I took his offer and anxiously waited for the time to meet back with him. He said he wanted tonight to be special, so he gave me a small list of items to bring with us because he did not wish for this special meeting to be anything small. He told me he wanted it to be a night that I would remember," she explained.

"What kind of items did he want you to bring?" Princess Alice asked.

"Plates, bowls, silver ware, cups, a blanket, and a jacket. Knowing this, I knew we would not be back until after sun down, so I left a message with Ryan that if he saw you, to tell you that I would be gone. Ryan gave him a similar message. That is why I could not join you for supper and I am hoping that Captain Riley somehow got the message from Ryan," Maid Lydia suddenly worried.

"Yes, the Captain and I received the messages at the same time," Alice reassured her.

"Oh good!" Lydia breathed. "Anyway, I went to the stables at the time I was told to meet with Thomas and when I got there, he already had a horse saddled and packed. We added my things and was more than happy that only one horse had been prepared. I had never ridden a horse before in all my life! It was scary at first, but I held on tightly and Thomas never once let me fall. It was nice riding through the market and the town with him and nobody knew who we were, so we weren't questioned by the patrol. As we rode through the market, we picked up some fruit and bread along the way. We rode for quite some time, talking along the way until eventually, we were just outside of the town. Thomas knew of a little meadow by a stream and there we sat and watched the sunset and wildlife while we ate supper together. And supper! My my Princess, that boy is so amazing," Maid Lydia stopped for a romantic sigh.  "I do not know how he was able to get such food, but he did! It was exquisite. After supper, we watched the fireflies until one landed on my finger and when it finally flew away we, well um, you know, we..." Lydia stumbled on her words. Princess Alice's eyes lit up with joy for her friend.

"He kissed you?!" Lydia nodded as her cheeks blushed. "That is wonderful!"

"It was," Maid Lydia continued, "We heard the howling of wolves far away and decided it was time to return," she finished her tale. Princess Alice hugged her Maid dearly.

"I am so happy for the two of you!" the Princess exclaimed. There was a knock at the door and the girls shared suspicious looks. Alice stood behind her door. "Who is it?" she called.

"Your father," King Bard answered from the other side. Alice opened her door and gave him a blank stare. "Are you alright Alice?" he asked gently.

"Yes," Alice said confidently, knowing after some sleep she would be fine. Her father's eyes drifted to her Maid.

"Why is she wearing one of your dresses?" he asked quietly.

"I let her borrow it; she was meeting up with a special someone," Alice whispered.

"Oh!" her father exclaimed as he waved to Lydia, who waved back unsure of what was going on.

"I have so many dresses father, I do not see why she can't keep it. Besides, I never really liked that one anyway," she admitted. Her father let out a hearty laugh.

"Well then, if you are fine and you Maid is happy, then I will let you be," he said goodnight. After he left, the girls said their goodnights and parted ways until the new day came.

(Below is a picture of Thomas...literally)

literally)