Chapter 24

Princess Alice couldn't train today like she originally wanted because her mother, Maid Lydia, and Maid Gretta were all busy taking the princess's measurements. "My my Alice! You have grown since we last took your measurements," Maid Gretta pointed out.

"According to my studies, a woman is not full grown until she is twenty," the princess answered.

"How much has she grown?" Queen Rosalind asked.

"She is three inches taller, her stomach is flatter, her legs are longer, but it is her arms that have grown," Maid Lydia informed the Queen.

"What? That is impossible!" Queen Rosalind exclaimed incredulously. "How could your arms have grown?"

"Her arms are bigger around than what they used to be. She has grown muscle," Maid Gretta told her.

"How?" the Queen asked in disbelief. "How my daughter? You are a Princess and princess's are not muscular." Princess Alice shrugged.

"I have no idea mother. Perhaps it is because I have gone riding more often and am frequently lifting the saddles," Alice came up with an excuse for herself. The princess and her Maid shared a knowing look, to which the Queen crossed her arms and looked out the window confused. Maid Gretta noticed the lack of communication and smiled to herself, knowing that the bond between Alice and her Maid was a special one.

"We will have her measurements sent to the seamstresses in no time my Queen," Maid Gretta beamed. Queen Rosalind nodded.

"I will be waiting for you for tea in the library and do not dawdle," she reminded the princess. After the girls could not hear the Queen's footsteps, they all breathed a sigh of relief.

"Your mother is a royal pain in the butt," Maid Lydia commented. Alice laughed.

"Sometimes my own strength surprises me," she admitted.

"So it is true then?" Maid Gretta asked as she gathered her supplies.

"What is?" Alice asked.

"You have been training with the Royal Guard?"

"Yes, but my parents are not to know, especially my mother. My father thinks it is only sword lessons, but we all know it is much more than that," Alice confirmed. Maid Gretta put a hand to her heart and teared up.

"Finally...a princess worthy of honor," she gushed. Alice blushed as she stood down from her vanity stool.

"I will not let my kingdom or my followers down in anyway," Princess Alice reassured her as she gave Maid Gretta's shoulder a slight pat. Maid Gretta speechlessly curtsied.

"Is that where you go to in the afternoons? Riding?" Queen Rosalind questioned at mid morning tea time.

"Yes mother, I find it most enjoyable and the forest is so calming and soothing," Alice thickened her lie.

"And what of the Captain of the Royal Guard, hmm?"

"Oh Derek? He's an amazing Captain. He takes great pride in his job and looks after his men with respect, that is why our Royal Guard is so strong. There's a certain level of trust between a leader and their followers that is needed to keep a group together," the princess explained.

"I was unaware that you and the Captain Riley were on a first name basis," Queen Rosalind said disapprovingly.

"Yes," Alice said slowly.

"Why is that?" her mother questioned.

"When we were attacked, he saved my life and we have been friends ever since. He has my gratitude and if anything, I owe him my life."