Chapter 49

Thomas dropped her shield and put a hand over his mouth trying to hold back his own tears. Jacob rushed to the princess's side. "He needs help and I don't know what to do," Alice choked.

"Lift his head, he'll need something soft to rest it on," Jacob said calmly. Alice scooted over and lowered his head onto her lap, running a hand soothingly through his hair.

"He was stabbed by a broken sword," she answered. Larry grabbed a cloth from his boot.

"Here, put this over the wound," he said, handing it to Jacob. "He's going to need a doctor," he pointed out when he saw how bad the wound was bleeding. Derek's eyes started to flutter and roll to the back of his head.

"No, No! Derek stay with me!" Alice started to freak out.

"Alice," the Captain mumbled.

"Thomas, go get the doctor and find the King!" Jacob ordered. Thomas nodded, unable to speak. Alice brushed her fingers over his cheek as his eyes continued to flutter.

"I feel...I feel tired," Derek struggled to speak.

"Don't you dare black out on me! Stay with me Derek! It's going to be ok," Alice said, now holding one of his hands. Derek's head titled to the side. "Derek! Derek no! Don't do this to me! You're going to be ok! The doctor is on his way," the princess started to cry.

"THOMAS!" Jacob scolded, "Go get the doctor, NOW!"

"Right! Sorry," Thomas sped off.

"Derek, just breathe," Larry instructed calmly as Jacob pulled another cloth out and put it over the wound.

"Alice," he mumbled.

"I'm here," she sniffled.

"I love yo..."

"No! No no no no no! Derek! Derek stay with me! Don't go!" Alice cried as she tried to keep him awake. His eyes closed and his head fell to the side. "Derek?" Alice asked worriedly. "Derek?" she asked more worried, gently patting his cheek. "DEREK?" There was no response. "No, no! NOOOOO!" she cried. Thomas came back with the doctor and King in tow and the doctor immediately knelt and studied the wound. Alice ran to her father and hugged him tightly. King Bard hugged her back and looked at the situation, sharing a grave look with Larry. The princess sobbed into her father's armor uncontrollably.

"Thomas, why don't you get Alice out of here and make sure it is safe for her to go back to her room," the King suggested, handing him her sword.

"Yes your majesty," Thomas slightly bowed his head. Thomas put the princess's sword back in her sheath for her and the King handed her off to Thomas. Thomas suddenly felt very awkward, never having dealt with a crying woman before, especially when Alice was quite a bit taller than he was. He slowly led her out of the library, checking for enemies as they walked through the halls. He held her hand and gently led her up her stairs to her room. When they walked in, Alice immediately sobbed into his shoulder and hugged him tightly. "You should take your armor off, it might make you feel less tighten up," Thomas suggested.

"A-alright," the princess agreed, trying to slow her sobs. She was successful long enough to get her armor off and then she went right back to crying. Thomas sat next to her on her bed and let her cry into his chest. He put a hand on her back and rubbed up and down to calm her down. The princess must have cried for hours because soon, the sun started to set. Hue cautiously came in with her retrieved shield.

"Just put it over there with her sword," Thomas said when he saw Hue's discomforted and confused face. Hue came over to give her a hug.

"The King and doctor are both very busy right now. You should try to sleep and hopefully you will have news by morning," Hue told her. Alice nodded.

"Can you find Jacob?" Thomas asked. Hue nodded. Moments later, a freshly washed, but very worn Jacob poked his head in. Thomas gestured for him to come in. "I have been up here for hours," Thomas said.

"Go wash up and have some supper. I can handle the rest of this," Jacob offered. Jacob took Thomas's place and Alice's tears didn't stop coming.

"Shsh, Alice, it's going to be ok," Jacob said softly. The princess still cried, but her tears weren't as bad as before. "There there," Jacob said soothingly stroking Alice's hair. "The doctor was watching over him before Hue came for me."

"I-is he going t-to be alright?" Alice asked between sobs.

"I don't know, but I do know that Derek is strong and he's a fighter, so the chance of him healing is pretty great," Jacob reassured her.

"Y-you think so?" Alice looked at him. Jacob gave a small smile as he wiped her tears away.

"I'm sure of it if so there's no need to cry. I know it was a hard thing to witness and you're really scared, but everything is going to be ok." The princess nodded and hugged Jacob. "You should get some sleep."

"I don't want to be alone," Alice whispered like a scared little girl.

"Then I'll stay if you want me to," Jacob agreed. Princess Alice kicked her shoes off and snuggled her back against Jacob's side. Alice woke up to the sound of Jacob's loud snoring. Her eyes felt so tired and dry from crying so much the day before. She slowly slung her legs over the side of her bed and ran a hand through her mangled hair. She felt a tear slide down her cheek, but when she smelled how gross she smelled, she scrunched her face in disgust. Alice looked at Jacob and sighed, wishing she could be with Derek instead. She felt bad for making Jacob stay with her all night when she smelled so bad, but she knew she'd only be more miserable if she had been by herself. The princess started water for a bath and while she waited for it to heat up, she went to her closet to pick out a dress for the day. She closed her bathroom door and locked it before undressing and untying her messy hair. Her bath felt so nice and refreshing. Alice found it difficult to brush out her knotted hair and dropped the brush when there was a knock at her door.

"Princess Alice, are you in there?" Alice smiled and threw her door open, enveloping her closest friend in a hug.

"I've missed you," Alice cried happy tears.

"I've missed you to. I heard what happened, Thomas told me everything," Maid Lydia said, picking up the brush and starting where Alice had given up. Lydia helped the princess prepare herself for the day and the two girls laughed as they left Jacob snoring in Alice's bed. They left a not pinned to the door and walked down to the gardens. The two exchanged stories until Thomas called Lydia away, leaving Princess Alice alone until she heard news from the doctor.