Chapter 5

"I um," Princess Alice stammered.

"You can ride with me on my horse, unless of course you still would like your own horse, in which case, I will gladly wait patiently," Prince Nick suggested.

"NO!" Alice said alarmed. "I mean, no, it would be an honor to ride with such a gentleman on one of the finest horses in all the realms." Prince Nick gave a small smile, never taking his eyes off of Alice as he mounted his steed. He held his hand out for Alice, who very happily took it as she swung herself up onto the horse, behind Prince Nick. "We will be back by supper," Princess Alice announced. After the King's nod of approval, the Prince and the Princess galloped out of the gates and beyond the main road, slowing once they got to the Western Forest. Princess Alice tried not to wrap her arms too tight around the dashing Prince, so instead she laid her head against the back of his shoulder.

"Is it alright if I just call you Princess?" Prince Nick asked.

"Sure," Alice smiled dreamily. Nick glanced over his shoulder and smiled as his eyes met with Alice's eyes.

"I can not see you very well when you are behind me," Prince Nick teased. Alice laughed a gentle laugh.

"How are you going to fix this little dilemma?" she playfully asked. Nick chuckled, making Alice's smile grow wider. Nick pulled the horse to a stop and turned around, wrapping his arms around Alice, and pulling her in front of where he was sitting.

"That's better," Nick said. Alice grinned. "I see the way you treat your servants compared to your Queen and many others I have met through the years. No one has ever treated them with such care and kindness."

"I want my people to know in their hearts without a doubt that I care about each and every one of them; I want my people to know that they can trust me," Princess Alice told Nick. He leaned right next to her ear and hugged her tighter before whispering,

"I like that about you, it makes you different from the others." Alice felt tingly chills run down her back and exit through her toes. She closed her eyes and smiled in a way that she'd never smiled before. Nick pulled away from their hug, looked Princess Alice in the eyes, and slowly leaned in for a kiss. Their lips were about to touch when a twig snapped loudly in the forest.

"What was that?" Princess Alice whispered as she clung to Prince Nick.

"I do not know, but get behind me; we might need to make a quick get away," Nick whispered back as he watched the shadows. Two more twigs snapped and Nick drew his sword, ready for a fight. Alice hugged him close, not wanting to fall from the horse if they were attacked. Then, an arrow flew from a bush, but missed its target. "HYA!" Nick kicked the side of the horse as he steered it to head back to the castle. "Hold on tight Princess, it's a long ride back!" Nick warned. Alice risked looking back to see their attackers, but they were hard to make out against the green of the forest. She could see people moving, but it was almost as if they were moving with the forest, She gasped when she realized who they were. "Who are they?" Nick asked.

"Our evil neighbors," Alice answered. She could hear their attackers trying to run to catch up. "They're gaining on us."

"They won't be able to once we are out of the forest," Nick said, making his horse run faster. A flock of arrows whizzed past the Prince and Princess, but one of them landed in Nick's shoulder, causing him to drop his sword.

"NICK!" Alice screeched. He grimaced in pain when he saw that the arrow had gone through and through.

"I will be fine, at least until we get to your castle," Nick reassured her.

"HELP! Somebody help us!" Princess Alice yelled when they were back through the safety of the gates. A man clad in shiny armor that had a tassel on his helmet came running.

"What happened?" he asked, immediately taking Prince Nick off the horse.

"I don't know! We were just riding throught the Western Forest and then we were attacked and now Nick has an arrow through his shoulder!" Princess Alice cried.

"Captain! What is this commotion?" King Bard asked, rushing to their side.

"It appears Prince Nickolas was shot with a poisoned arrow," the Captain answered. Alice put her hands over her mouth as the tears started to flood out.

"Is he going to be ok?" she asked heart broked, Her father gave her a sad look.

"The Infirmary isn't far from here sir, I will see what I can do," the Captain said. 

Alice paced anxiously outside the door, waiting to hear any news. King Bard came out eventually with a heavy expression.

"How is he?" Queen Rosalind asked. The King shook his head.

"Is he...is he..." Princess Alice couldn't even finished her sentence when her father nodded sadly. "NO!" Alice ran into the room and sat next to Prince Nick, taking his hand in hers. It was cold and she could tell he wasn't breathing. Big warm tears flowed uncontrollably as she buried her hed in his chest. The one she actually liked was the one that had to die.

(Below is King Bard)