Chapter 41

"Margaret is your mother ?" Alice asked, trying to put it all together.

"Yes, Derek is my first born child," the fruit lady answered.

"That is how I knew something wasn't right when we went to the market," Derek said.

"This whole time and neither one of you said a word to me?"

"I had to keep it a secret, it was part of the deal we made with your father when Derek became Captain," Margaret said.

"We had to in order to keep the whole family safe," Derek told Alice. "I wanted to tell you, I truly did."

"It's a good thing he came. I haven't seen him in person without his armor in five years," Margaret realized. "And I must say, it is remarkable that the two of you are in love!"

"Mother!" Derek scolded. Alice blushed.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Alice tried her best not to smile.

"Besides, she is an engaged woman," Derek pointed out. Margaret looked between the two knowingly.

"Whatever the two of you say. Come now children, let's go wash up in the stream," Margaret herded her children. "Thank you for the rescue."

"Of course," Alice said.

"Where will you stay?" Derek asked concerned.

"There is a family up the road a little ways that has a nice sized barn. We will go there until we know what to do," Margaret answered. "Can you stay here until your father comes back so he knows where to meet us?"

"Yes mother."

"I should head back to the castle," Alice remarked.

"Alice, could you tell the twins that their father will pick them up before supper?" Derek asked.

"I will let them know," the princess said as she hopped onto her horse. After she informed the twins, she went to wash up from her long day. The sun was beginning to set and the princess frowned, knowing that she would have to put up with her mother at supper.

"Alice! There you are! You took off in such a rush! Ryan said you and Derek left looking worried," Maid Lydia said when she walked in.

"My mother over stepped her boundaries, again," Alice said stressfully.

"I am sorry to hear that," Lydia responded.

"Did you know that Margaret is Derek's mother?" the princess asked.

"Her husband and Derek look very similar, but no, I did not know," Lydia answered. "That explains a lot," she said after a few quiet moments.

"It sure does," Alice agreed. "Could you prepare a nightgown for me and send for my supper to be brought to my room please?"

"Of course," her Maid nodded, "Would you like me to join you?"

"No, I will be fine alone." The following morning, Alice had breakfast alone as well. She was still furious her mother would do such a thing. She was sitting in the gardens when she heard light footsteps. She quickly reached for hidden dagger and pointed it at the person approaching.

"I know you are mad at me, but there is no need to point sharp, shiny objects in my face," Queen Rosalind scolded.

"Then don't sneak up on me," Alice said with ice in her voice. Her mother stood by her and the princess scooted over so her mother could sit next to her. "What you did was wrong and unacceptable," she started.

"I know," her mother said quietly.

"Then why did you do it?"

"Captain Riley has no right to be hanging around an engaged woman. Anyone can tell his heart belongs to you and you secretly bind your heart to him as well. Allowing yourself to love another once you are engaged is punishable by death, you and I both know that. What kind of example would that be to all of the other kingdoms to have my daughter marry someone when she longs for another?" the Queen put it into perspective.