E I G H T

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

ITS BEEN WEEKS since Bran's fall from the tower. Not once have I left his sight. I would stay in his chambers along with Lady Catelyn for days on end. I'm not even sure when the last time I was outside. I've been cooped up in this chamber with only Catelyn and a book to keep me entertained. I looked from my book as I hear the door open to reveal the Maesters figure. He walks over and lays a hand on Bran's head then turning to face Catelyn.

"It's time we reviewed the accounts, my lady. You'll want to know how much this royal visit has cost us." Catelyn glances down as she continues to work on her figures of the seven.

"Talk to Poole about it" she muttered angrily. The maester sighs.

"Poole went south with Lord Stark, my lady. We need a new steward, and there are several other appointments that require our immediate attention-"

"I don't care about appointments!" Catelyn yelled at him. From the corner of my eyes I see Robb walking in, looking at the two adults.

"I'll make the appointments. We'll talk about it first thing in the morning." He assured the Maester. The maester smiled at Robb.

"Very good, my Lord. My Lady" he bowed his head slightly before leaving the room. Robb closes the door after him and opens the windows. The howling of the wolves could be heard all the way up here in Bran's tower chambers.

"When was the last time you left this room?" He's asked his mother.

"I have to take care of him." Catelyn muttered. I could see Robb's features harden.

"He's not going to die, mother. Maester Luwin says the most dangerous time has passed." He fought back. Lady Catelyn laid her figures down beside her.

"What if he's wrong? Bran needs me." He voice cracked.

"Rickon needs you. He's six. He doesn't know what's happening. He follows me around all day, clutching my leg, crying..."

"Close the windows! I can't stand it! Please make them stop!" She cried out. I stood up from my seat and went to close the windows. As I gaze outside I noticed the blazing of fire rippling through the cold northern air.

"Fire" I whispered out. I hear footsteps behind me

"You both stay here. I'll come back." He ordered us. Lady Catelyn walked over and looks to see a small structure erupted in flames. We both turned around to see a man smirking at us.

"You're not supposed to be here. No one is supposed to be here. It's a mercy. He's dead already." He unsheathed a dagger and jumps to attack Bran but lady Catelyn rushes to fight the man. I quickly rushed to grab the knife that Catelyn was using to carve. When I turn around again, Catelyn was thrown to the floor with blood covered hands. The man was breathing heavily before he continued to Bran. I quickly ran and Stabbed him in his abdomen. He groans in pain and I backed away in fear. He yanks the knife out and turns to face me. He raised his dagger and as I held my arms over my face. He slices through my skin from my arms and pushes me onto Lady Catelyn. The attacker turns to face Bran once more and before he could take a step forward, Summer dashed in clamping his jaws on the assassins neck. Catelyn pulled me into her arms and buries my head in her neck as I hear the man cry out in pain until it disappears. I lifted my head as Summer jumps on Bran's bed, laying down beside him. I was about to look at the man when Catelyn turned my head and pulled me into her arms.

"Don't." She muttered as I clutched onto her dress. We sat on the floor in each other's embrace until we hear heavy footsteps approaching. I looked up in alert and jumped out of her arms. I grabbed the knife and pointed it at the door. When the door opened , it revealed Robb covered in soot. I dropped the knife and breathed out in relief. He looks from me to Catelyn and our bloody appearance then to the dead man on the floor and to summer. He rushed over to his mother as he looked over her injuries. He quickly escorts us both to the maester but not without leaving 3 guards standing outside Bran's door.
The maester quickly cleans Catelyn and I's cuts and bruises. The maester left to go fetch something leaving Catelyn and I alone. She stands and walks over to me, sitting beside me.

"Thank you for helping me with that man. If you didn't intervine first, he would've killed Bran" she cried out.

"Why would you risk your life to try and protect my son?" I smiled and carefully took her hands in my small ones

"He's my friend. I'd rather die protecting him then seeing him get killed."