The Call

You got escorted back to Enies Lobby and was allowed to relax slightly in your secluded room, but not fully. Because you had to prepare.

And so, when you had your casual clothes on. Your dress shirt from the uniform but with dark jeans and your old but worn Marine hat. You made another call with the Den-Den Mushi before you went. Deciding to break a silent agreement between you and the others of CP9.

"Hello? Can you put Captain Smoker on the phone please? Tell him it's urgent."

The man told you to wait, and you heard him call for his captain. And heard as heavy steps came closer and closer to the phone, which was then picked up and

"Hello?"

—a gruff and so familiar answered.
You smiled fondly at his voice. He hasn't seemed to change from voice alone. No.

Why would he change?

"Hey...Smokey. How are you? Still the baka I know?" You said half-heartedly, because you honestly don't know how he would react. You haven't called since...since you joined the CP9, only once to tell him and the others it's okay and you were settling in and training. But that's it.

Six years.

Six years of no contact.

You just hoped the time wouldn't matter. Because Smoker was Smoker.

You were met with silence and just when you thought he wouldn't answer.

"(Y/N)? Is that you?"

He did.

Your smile widened as you clutched the Den Den Mushi tightly as you rubbed your thumb against the cap of your hat fondly.

"Who else would it be? Idiot~. I heard you became Captain, congrats. You must've gotten stronger. Still trying to catch up to me SmoBaka?"

You said with a familiar grin, your tone fond of your friend on the other side. Your comrade. No.

Your Nakama.

"Where the hell were you?! Do you know how many times I've-We've tried to get a hold of you?"

Your brows furrowed.

They have? It seems Aokiji was correct in his statement, the others have been trying to contact you with no such luck. Probably a result of Spandam's bastard ways. Smoker continued.

"Do you have any idea how anxious we were to hear from you? You idiot!"

You nonetheless smiled. This is what you have missed. These pointless little arguments between you and Smoker, and the way he just was. A huggable big bear that had a soft spot. The way he would ignore your teases of his strength. Or when you apparently got too close.

The times where you rescued him from the deep ocean and would later tell you that he's sorry to be a burden. While you only gave him a smile and a clap to the shoulder, and saying that he would never be a burden to you. Not to you.

Not ever you. Because you must've been his when they were younger, a fourteen year old being worried about an eight year old girl that had nothing to do with him until his kind hearted side was shown.

When you'd laugh each time he took out a cigar or used his power, saying that it was just too ironic to not laugh about. Those silent calm nights, where you would ask him to watch the moon with you. So you wouldn't be alone. He always stayed, despite his small grumbling his young self did. He's always stay, until you fell asleep. And carry you back to your small house and bed. You'd wake up the next day, wanting to moon gaze with him again, because he reminded you so much of the gentle orb in the sky.