Chapter 17

I don't think I can take another lunch with Holly and Josh today, but they sit at my table anyways. It would be rude to get up and leave, although believe me, I have considered that option. And am still considering it.

       Holly keeps stealing french fries from his plate, and he keeps stealing stuff from her plate. It's pretty stupid, but it's just one way to make me sick, their sad flirting. You buy a lunch to eat it, not to eat somebody elses lunch.

       They don't seem to know this little fact though.

       And it doesn't help that Holly keeps smirking at me and then giggling and sending flirty smiles at Josh.

       I clear my throat, yet they continue their acts of thievery. I clear my throat even more.

       They actually pause to glance my way. "Well, I'm uh full now so I'm just gonna go to the library for the rest of lunch period. I uh have a huge test to study for."

       Josh looks down at my completely full plate. "Uh, Christine, you barely ate a thing."

       "Oh, I uh had a big breakfast," I lie.

       "Oh. What class do you need to study for?"

       "Um, English, I have it next hour."

       "We don't have a test in English? I had it 5th hour," Josh informs me.

       Crap. "Really? I swear she said something about a test. Oh well," I say lamely, and settle back down. Well, that little escape plan didn't work.

       "Holly smiles sweetly at Josh. "Ready for the game? I'll be cheering the loudest for you!"

       Josh smiles down at her. "Yeah. I'll be sure to watch for you, ok? Those cheers ready?"

       "Yeah, practice is brutal. I'm sure you'll lead us to victory Josh," she says, smoothly swerving the conversation back to him.

       "And I'm sure you'll cheer me on," Josh smiles. "And you two of course, Christine and Selena. How's being head cheerleader, Selena?"

       "Great, but it's really exhausting," Selena answered.

       Holly jumps in again. "Really? I never had that problem with it. Well, I guess I was just more fit and better at cheer-leading then you are. Not to worry, I'm sure sooner or later you'll get a little better, though it might be hard for you."

       Everybody glares at Holly except for Josh, who is as always blind to Holly's meaness.

       Josh grins at her. "Hey, Holly, you could maybe help Selena out a little, since you have so much practice and all."

       Now everybody's glares turn towards Josh. "Uh, no Josh I definitely don't need her help. There's a reason I was picked to be head cheerleader. I was better then she was, I used to cheer-lead when I was little."

       Josh put up his hand in defense. "Hey, I was just saying, just in case. And I'm sure you both are wonderful cheerleaders."

       "Some more wonderful then others," I mutter.

       "What'd you say Christine? I didn't quite catch that," Josh asks.

       "Huh? Oh, it wasn't important," I inform him.

       "No really, we want to know," Holly says, knowing already what I said, but wanting me to look bad in front of Josh.

       "Well, if you insist Holly. I said goodluck at the game," I lie, looking towards Josh.