Chapter 2

"Christine, wake up!" Mom yells at me from across the house. Or maybe just outside the door. In the state I'm in I wouldn't know. I'm so groggy right now I probably wouldn't if there was an earthquake.

       I groan and roll over, burying myself beneath my warm comforter.

       "Do you want to be late for your first day of school?" My moms extremely annoying voice reaches me even through the mountain of blankets. I groan again, but I stop mid-groan. Her words processed through my foggy mind. Wait first day of what? Oh my gosh, first day of middle school! I sit straight up, as if I wasn't just complaining about getting up a second ago.

       "I'm up, mom. Gosh you don't have to yell! I call out to my mom, wherever she is, pretending like I was awake the whole time. Which I was not, unless burying myself in my bed counts as being up. And, in my book, it does not.

       "Yeah, whatever. Breakfast is in 10 minutes!"

       Crap. That means I have 10 minutes to do whatever I need to do before school. Jumping up to brush my teeth, I hastily make my bed. As in throw the covers over the thing.

       After brushing my teeth (2 minutes) I run to my closet and fling open the doors. I stand there, looking in dismay at the huge array of clothes in front of me. Maybe Kelly had the right idea yesterday, after all.

       "5 minutes!" The voice of my mothers seems to have grown even more annoying, if humanly possible.

       In total desperation, I close my eyes and grab in front of me, landing on some unknown article of clothing. I yank it out. Its a shirt I bought at the mall with Ivy, one of my other friends. Its a sea green flowy top. I pull it over my head, and put on some skinny jeans. I'll just wear my uggs with them. I examine myself in the mirror, and am satisfied. Kind of.

       I pull out my blue paddle brush from my desk, and run it through my hair.

      "Christine, breakfast is ready!"

       "Ok, I'm coming!" I grab my backpack as I run downstairs.

*****

       "Christy!" I turn around, towards who can only be Kelly, since shes the only one who ever calls me that.

       "Hey, Kelly!" I wave at her stepping out of her car, wearing the outfit I picked for her yesterday. She always has her mom drive her on the first day of school. I usually take the bus, even though now that I go to the middle school, its only like 5 blocks away.

       The buses are arriving, early  like buses tend to do on the first day of school. It's only later that they gradually become later and later. In front of them is the large, modern school. It's only 2 stories high, but is spread out far. Behind the school, unseen from here, is the sports areas; football field, baseball fields, tennis courts, the works.

       Kelly runs up to me, breathing slightly faster then usual. "First day of middle school! I can't wait! I hope were in the same classes mostly."

      We reach the long tables set up, with everyone's schedules in alphabetical order. I head towards the G section while Kelly goes further down to the S's. Finally, in the chaotic crowd surrounding the tables, I manage to grab my schedule, and glance down at it. Across from period 1, homeroom, is Ms. Helders. I've never heard of her, so maybe shes new.

       "Whats your homeroom?" Kelly sees to magically appear to my left, schedule in hand. "I have Mr. Drewall."

       "Ms. Helders. Do you know her? I've never heard of her."