Chapter 10

• Dedicated to all my fans!!!

       I go through the rest of the day strongly regretting my decision, yet relieved that we both know where we stand with each-other.

       Kind of.

      Actually, not really.

       Selena keeps giving me subtle hints that I made the wrong decision, and I actually almost agree with her now. The thing is, I don't really know much about Josh, and that's the only reason I don't completely agree with her. If I could start that conversation with Josh over, I would probably agree to the being friends thing; it never hurts to have an extra friend, and I'd get to know him better.

       Too late now. I suppose that I could go back to Josh and apologize, but I have too much pride. I will not go back and beg on my knees for him to redo his offer.

       At least, I'll try not too. In some ways I have way too much pride.

       When I told Kelly, she kept telling me that I made the right decision. But I can't help thinking she has some ulterior motive, such as her thinking that its less competition for her to get Josh. That, or maybe that if she can't have him, nobody can.

        Thinking this makes me feel as if I'm too suspicious, but I know deep down that I am right. And this saddens me, because I know that Kelly last year would've wanted the best for me. But Kelly has changed, even other people can see that.

       It's like my ex-best friend is gone. If she was still the same, I think Kelly would've still been my best friend, or at least one of my bffs. She's still one of my closest friends, but I have a bad feeling that won't be true in a while. Kelly is slowly drifting away from me, like an iceberg. Slowly, but steadily.

       On a slightly brighter note, tomorrow is our first cheer-leading practice. But as I said, it's only a slightly brighter prospect, because Holly will be there. And her worshipers, of course.

       The bell rings, startling me from my thoughts, and I head out the door from sewing. Finally, the day is done. Sewing actually isn't that bad, if you don't take in accout my sore fingers and Holly's presence. All we do is sew things up, primarily pillowcases and random scraps of fabric, because were not advanced enough sewers to start on the costumes for the play.

       The play is Romeo and Juliet this year, so I have a feeling that its going to be a pretty bad play. Because really, middle school kids are not the best actors.

       I'm at my locker contemplating my poor expectation of the school play when I spot Josh coming near. I was about to hurry away when I notice him noticing me at my locker. I see him immediately change directions. I don't want to talk to him either, but it still hurts that his avoidance of me is so obvious.

       And it's not only obvious to me. Holly strolls up to me, followed by Lisa and Mia. "I see that you managed to piss off Josh," she taunts. "That should've happened all along, as nobody likes losers. And you, Christine are the biggest loser of all. Josh doesn't even want to be next to you!"

       I really don't want to deal with this right now. "Just shut up Holly. Nobody wants to hear you."

       It was a pretty pathetic comeback, and evidently Holly thinks so too. She lets out her mean laugh that you always hear from the popular girl in movies. "Christine, face it. Nobody likes you, nobody cares about you. Your a loser, and nothing is ever going to change that."

       Lisa glances at Holly, and I see a spark of her own in her beautiful ebony colored eyes. "Uh, Holly I think your um going to far now, half of what your saying are lies."