68

Natalia sighed as she stood beside General Krell, he decided not to imprison her with the clones but he was going to keep an eye on her. "Sir, I'd like to request that your rethink court marshaling Fives and Jesse." Rex requested, "Their act of treachery will not be supported, if their punishment isn't swift then others would be inspired to follow their actions!" Krell said, "Sir, our men are with you. They just feel that you're putting their lives at risk needlessly." Rex explained, "I want you all to know insubordination will not be tolerated." Krell said, "These clones have had a difficult time respecting my authority since the beginning, I've seen it before. Some clones are just... Defective. They aren't able to succumb to authority, you're right Captain, I don't think I can court marshal them.It will only be a waste of time. And that's something we don't have. I'm afraid they'll need to be disposed of, prepare a squad for execution." Krell said, "What?! But sir!" Rex gasped, "You heard me, Captain! Have it done immediately, or I'll do it myself!" Krell said, "And I want General Schulter to lead it!" He said as he glared at Natalia. She gasped and looked at Rex.

"Yes, sir." They said in unison. They walked down the prisoners and let them out, Natalia felt sick the whole time. "I can't do this to my soldiers." She whispered to herself, they reached Fives and Jesse, they looked scared. "Fives, Jesse, I'm sorry. General Krell has ordered your execution, immediately." Rex told them, "What?! But how?! He can't do this!" Jesse yelled, "He has authority to render punishment during combat." Rex told him, Natalia looked at the ground sadly, knowing she'll have to be disposed of soon as well. "I can understand a court marshal and locking us up, but execution?!" Jesse yelled, "I tried to convince him that it's my fault, but he wouldn't let me." Rex said, "Rex, you have to face it, he's been using both you and the General, he needs your loyalty to control the others." Fives said, Natalia nodded in agreement. Rex backed away as he opened the door, "I won't let him get away with this." He said, "Ah don't beat yourself up about it, we made our choice, we knew what the price was." Fives said, "Speak for yourself." Jesse said, "Still got your sense of humor I see." Fives said to Jesse, "Who said I was joking?" Jesse asked, they were both visibly afraid.

"Well, I guess this is it." Fives said with a sigh, Natalia swallowed her tears as they went up. They went outside and Fives and Jesse faced their brothers as the clones lined up, Natalia looked up and saw General Krell watching them from the command center. "Will the prisoners request to be blindfolded?" The commander asked, the two stayed silent, "I'll take that as a no." He said as he walked away, "I really hope you can live with yourself, Dogma." Fives said, "Ready weapons!" Dogma instructed, Natalia turned on her lightsaber and and waited for the clones to start shooting, "Never thought we would go out this way." Jesse said, "Aim!" Dogma shouted, Natalia waited for the right moment to call fire, "Wait! This is wrong! And we all know it! The General is making a mistake, and he needs to be called on it! No clone should have to go out this way! We are loyal soldiers! We follow orders but we are not a bunch of unthinking droids! We are men! We must be trusted to make the right decisions! Especially when the orders are wrong." Fives yelled, Dogma glared at Natalia and she swallowed her tears, she pointed her blade at the clones and shouted.

"Fire!" 

The clones fired but they missed on purpose, Fives and Jesse opened their eyes and looked at Natalia, she had her lightsaber off and smiled at the two. "General, what happened?!" Dogma shouted, the clones dropped their weapons and looked at Natalia, "They're doing the right thing, Dogma. Because this is how soldiers are rewarded for heroic actions, and one day every man in this battalion may face a similar fate." Rex said, "Take off their binders!" Natalia instructed, "No! We have orders! We have to go through with this!" Dogma insisted, "Good luck finding anyone to do it." Rex replied, "General?!" Dogma asked, but she shook her head, "I would never execute my own soldier." She replied. "The General wants to see Dogma, Captain Rex and General Schulter." One of the clones said, Rex and Natalia glanced at each other and walked to the command center. "You wanted to see us, General?" Rex asked as he walked into the room. "I ordered those clones to be destroyed, you are making a mistake by crossing me, clone." Krell threatened. "It's Captain, sir." Rex spoke up, Natalia smirked at his rebellion. Krell growled at Rex but was interrupted. "Sir, there's an incoming transmission." One of the clones said, "Put it on." Krell said, "General, the Umbarans have stepped up their offensive, we've held them off but they ambushed one of our platoons, seizing weapons and uniforms, we believe they may be planning to launch a massive attack." The clone on the transmission explained. "Looks like you've got your stay of execution, for now." Krell growled at Rex, Natalia glared at him as he walked away.

"Lock down the traitors in the brig, order the platoons to move out immediately, we need to engage the enemy by hitting them now with everything we got." Krell said, "It's going to be hard to take the capital." He said. "Captain, make sure the troops know the enemy may be disguising themselves as clones to try and trick us." Krell told Rex, "I will, sir." He replied. Natalia followed Rex to the troops and started marching with them, "Watch out, the enemy has our weapons and our armor." Rex warned the troops, "They may try to trick us with an ambush." Natalia said. "We're under attack!" Natalia shouted as blasts started coming from the north, "Where is the enemy?!" Tup yelled, "I don't know! I can't see anything!" One of the other troopers replied. "Does anyone have a visual?!" Natalia shouted, the mist and darkness was messing with her Force vision, so she was truly blinded. "Ah, negative. It's too dark." Fives replied. "Wait I see them! They're disguised as clones!" Natalia shouted. "Captain where are you?! We're sustaining heavy casualties!" Natalia yelled through her comlink. Suddenly Rex came running, his hands waving around.

"Stop firing! We're shooting our own men!"