12

A Meeting With A Troubled Soul (Adam)

I opened my eyes, feeling someone petting my hair. I didn't remember falling asleep, but I kinda feel a little refreshed from the sudden night's sleep.

Drake was next to my bed, fully clothed for the day, petting my wavy hair gently. "Hey, handsome," he said. "You fell asleep in the gym while we were talking. I told the counselors that you weren't feeling well and wanted to sleep instead of going to the senior camper event."

"Oh... Thanks." I didn't remember our conversation last night. "Um....What did we talk about?"

Drake pursed his lips and looked down. "We were talking about what happened to you and Theo."

I sat up instantly, dizzy from the sudden motion, but alert. "I-is he here?"

"No no." Drake held my hand. "No, darling. He won't hurt you ever again. I'll make sure of that."

"Promise?"

"I promise." Drake helped me out of bed. "Come on, love. We're having french toast for breakfast this morning. Raven and Owen saved us some seats. We better hurry."

"Alright," I sighed. I stood up and got my shoes on slowly, trying to hurry for Drake's sake.

I know that he'll be there, I thought miserably. I decided to ask Drake before I tried backing out of going outside.

"Is Theo going to be there?"

"Sadly, everyone has to be there," Drake answered. "But the spot Raven chose is far away from him, so you won't be near him."

"Does Raven know what happened?"

"No. He and his friends are just anti social asshats."

"Okay."

I zipped up a jacket and proceeded outside. It was a cool morning despite the sun bathing us in a warm glow. Birds were chirping loudly overhead and the distant call of a hawk echoed among the trees. It was a beautiful morning with the promise of a hot afternoon.

"Thank you," I said suddenly as we walked to the cafeteria.

"Why?" Drake looked at me in confusion, chocolate brown eyes turned toward me.

"Being there for me. Caring even though I pushed you away." I looked down. "I shouldn't have told you to leave me alone. It was wrong of me."

"Don't apologize," drake said gently. "I would've done the same if I were in your situation."

I smiled barely at him as we entered the cafeteria. It was loud with clattering plates and silverware and voices trying to be herd over one another. It was a sudden change from the tranquil outside, but it was comforting too. No one could hurt me with so many witnesses.

"I'll go get myself some breakfast." I pulled away from Drake to go grab any leftover food. It smelled inviting to me and I finally felt the constant tremors of fear in my body fade away.

"Thank you," I murmured to the servers and I received "Bless your soul" in return.

As I made my way through the table with a bunch of sides and condiments on it, I heard a soft cough to my right. Britney, sitting at a table with Violet, Theo and two others I haven't met, waved at me in a flirty yet threatening way.

"Hey, sweet thing," she called over. "Come sit with us. We have an extra chair for you."

I didn't move. I had noticed something odd about Theo. A faint red scar on his cheek, as if someone had scratched him.

He deserves what he gets.

"I have other people to sit with," I answered.

Violet pulled the empty chair out with a horrid screech. "It was an order," she said.

"Leave him alone, Vi," Theo sighed. He looked tired. "He doesn't want to sit with us, so leave him alone. He doesn't deserve your bullshit."

"Language!" A woman's voice rang out next to their table.

"Fine." Violet screeched the chair back into place. "Bye, newbie."

What the hell?

Theo didn't look at me as I turned and walked away. Drake was watching me as I approached the table he was sitting at.

"You okay?"

"Yeah....Just still a little tired," I answered as I ate my breakfast.

Drake stared at me. "That's a common lie, Adam. As true as it might be, you're lying."

"Whatever."

I shoveled the rest of my food in my mouth and sat there listening to Raven telling us about how he and Owen beat everyone on one team singlehandedly.

They suddenly got quiet, which took me a few seconds to realize that someone was standing behind me. Before I could turn around, a huge freckle covered hand slammed down on the table and disappeared as quickly as it came.

I jumped at the loud sound and Drake held my hand tightly so I didn't freak out any more. Raven picked up a piece of paper left by Theo and read it over.

"What the hell?" He looked confused. "This makes no sense."

"Let me read it," Drake said. He took the note and looked it over. "AQT 346. Meet me alone at noon." He looked at me. "It's a license plate?"

"Lemme see." I took the paper from him. "Is it for me?"

"Why would it be fore you?" Owen asked.

I bit my lip. "I might've talked to him last night."

"Oh yeah," Owen said. "He pulled you away from our group before the introduction to camp."

"When did that happen?" Drake asked quickly.

"You had left to go use the bathroom," Raven answered. "Adam was a bit spacey at the time so I don't think he noticed."

"Oh yeah... That," I murmured. "Um....Should I go see what he wants...?"

Drake shook his head. "No! Not a chance."

"But-"

"Please, Adam. He's just a bully. I don't want you to get hurt."

"Yeah, have you seen the size of his biceps?" Raven said, pretending to swoon. "He's a hottie with a bitch attitude."

"Language, Mr. Samson. I must insist," a chubby little woman at a different table said kindly. "There are young ones here."

"Got'chu, ma'am." Raven saluted to her before turning to the group. "How about we hide and keep watch on Adam to make sure he don't get hurt?"

"Theo could get upset about that," Drake said stubbornly. "No, I won't allow him to go meet him."

"Okay, fine," Owen said, trying to keep the peace. "We'll just ignore the note and him."

"That's fine by me," Drake said.

"Alright," I murmured. I silently slipped the piece of paper in my pocket as my friends talked.