8

Arguments and Questions (Adam)

"Welcome to St. Angelo Christian Camp!" I smiled awkwardly at the perky woman who handed me a few papers. "Here's your cabin, your nametag, your schedule, and map of the camp! You will love it here I garentee!"

"Thank you, ma'am," I said kindly, quickly walking away before she could talk to me about anything else.

"That was Mrs. Carson," Drake said. "She's the camp director and nurse."

"She's too cheerful."

"Well, her husband doesn't really let her leave the camp. He is the one truly in charge of this place." Drake smiled wryly. "He's a bit of a misogynist."

I clenched my jaw. "That's disgusting. I hate men like that."

Drake looked a little startled at my sudden anger, but he nodded in agreement. "Yeah. They're cruel to women."

I nodded, thinking about my own late mother. How my father treated her. How he still does awful things to me. I started to feal nauseated thinking about the sick things he's done.

"Adam? You don't look too well," Drake gently placed his hand on my shoulder. "Do you need to sit down?"

"No...No, I'm fine," I murmured. "Just thought about something."

"Adam! Baby darling!" I spun around at the voice. Britney was hurrying toward me, bright red lips wide with a smile of pearly whites. "There you are, honey boo! I was looking all over for you!"

She planted a wet kiss on my lips. We were getting a few looks of curiosity and disgust as she hung all over me, pressing her overly exposed leg against my thigh.

"Uh...Hi, Brit," I stammered. "Um... What are you doing here?"

"I go to camp here, dummy!" She tapped her manicured hand on my head. "Oh, you're so funny."

Drake glanced down at his feet awkwardly. I gently pushed Britney back so there was some space between us. "Brit, we are at a Christian camp. I'm sure there are rules about being physical with people."

Britney pouted. "But I just want to love you, sweetie."

"I know you do. But maybe after we get back home?"

"Oh fine," she grumbled. Her eyes wandered to Drake. "What are you doing here, faggot?"

Drake's head snapped up, anger lighting up his eyes. "I'm not a faggot!" He seethed.

"Sure," Britney drawled. "And the guy you were sucking off a year ago wasn't gay either, huh?"

I looked at Drake as he got angrier. "I didn't suck any guy, you cheap whore. Maybe you just mistook your drunken paydays for slanderous lies."

I snorted softly, too quiet for Britney to hear. She gasped in utter shock and disgust. "How dare you?! I am a virgin! A follower of Jesus my Savior!"

Drake rolled his eyes. "You're so slutty, you'd mistake a cucumber for some random dude's penis."

I couldn't help but burst out laughing. Britney slapped me, forcing me to shut up. "Be quiet, preacher's boy!" She hissed at me.

I just nodded and looked down, shocked that I was hit so hard by someone smaller than me. It brought back the memories of my father hurting me, and I could already feel the tears burning my eyes.

"Hey! Don't hit him!" Drake growled.

"I can do whatever I want," Britney retorted. "He doesn't care. Right, sweetheart?"

I nodded, fearing that she would hit me again.

"You're disgusting, Britney," Drake said. He pulled me away from her, quickly being swallowed up by a crowd of boys looking for cabins. "Adam, are you okay?"

I nodded silently. "Yeah.... I'm fine....."

"No you aren't. Here. Let me find your cabin."

He took the paper that had my cabin on it and looked at it. "Cool! We're neighbors. Come on. I'll show you were your cabin is. It's right next to the gym."

I let Drake drag me to the cabin. I noted that the cabin was labeled C1. I guessed there was a second cabin connected to mine. As Drake dragged me inside, he stopped when two guys jumped out of what seemed to be one bed, but I wasn't sure. They walked over to greet us.

"Hi!" They said in unison. They both had dark brown hair, though one had freckles splashed across their face while the other was dark tan without freckles.

"I'm Pete," the tan one said. "Pete Montana."

"I'm Dakota Valdez," the freckle faced one said. He seemed more shy and not as enthusiastic as Pete. Dakota looked down at his feet, a light blush across his cheeks. "Are you hear for this month's activities?"

"Yes we are," Drake said. He smiled at Dakota. "I've seen you here before, yes? Are you here all year?"

Dakota nodded. "My parents didn't want to deal with me... They said I was too feminine sometimes and told me God made men with muscles and brawn for a reason." He looked a little miserable. "That was 3 years ago..."

"I'm so sorry," I murmured. "Do they visit?"

"Once a year. To see if I'm worth taking back or not." Dakota glanced around nervously. "I sometimes feel feminine. Not often, but I do. Is that wrong of me?"

"God loves all His children," I said automatically. "If He loves you truly, that his purpose was for you to feel this way, then it is not wrong at all."

Dakota seemed to brighten up at that thought. "Thank you. I feel as if I needed that."

"You're welcome. I'm Adam by the way."

"And I'm Drake." Drake shook hands with Dakota and Pete. "Adam will be sharing this cabin with you. Do you know who else will be in here?"

"A big brawny guy named Chris and Mr. Dunn, a camp counselor," Pete said. "But they won't be here until tonight."

Drake nodded and looked at me. "Are you okay here with them?"

I nodded. "Yeah. We could become good friends."

"Friends?" Dakota squeaked as Pete ruffled his hair.

Drake said goodbye as he walked out and left me with the two boys. Pete whispered something to Dakota, struggling as he was shorter than his comrade, but managed to make the freckled kid blush a little.

"How old are you two?" I asked awkwardly.

"I'm 14 years old," Pete said, grinning. "Dakota is 16. He'll be turning 17 next month."

Dakota nodded shyly. "We don't celebrate birthdays here, though. A lot of us are recovering from things and the only parties we get are small congratulatory leaves."

"Anyways," Pete interrupted. He looked straight at me. "I have a question, Adam,"

"Um...Okay?"

"Are you gay?"