6

Secret path (Adam)

I coughed lightly as my dad walked into the dinning room. Drake glanced up and smiled kindly at my father.

"Did my son make this food?" I heard my father say.

"Yes, sir," Drake answered as he shoveled a piece of syrup drowned pancake into his mouth. "He's a very excellent cook."

My father huffed and wandered into the kitchen. "He's not that great, but he's better than most."

I rolled my eyes and forced a smile in Drake's direction. "He doesn't eat my food usually. He orders take out a lot."

Drake snorted softly and finished up his plate. "Do you want me to take yours to the kitchen, Adam?"

"You don't have to," I resopnded. I gulped down the last pieces of my pancakes and stood up with my plate. "I'll take yours to clean them."

"I must insist on doing something to repay your hospitality," Drake said. His eyes gazed into mine, dark and deep with many unsaid things.

"But you are the guest," I insisted. "I can't ask you to do the dishes."

Drake stared at me for a long time. "You won't let me do the dishes, huh?"

"Nope."

He sighed. "Alright." He handed his plate to me, smiling gently. "I'll be in the living room."

I nodded and headed into the kitchen, carefully stacking the plates on the counter next to the sink. I was very aware of my father watching me as I started to wash one plate.

After a while, he spoke. "You've been washing that plate for a while. I'm pretty sure it's clean enough to be put into the cupboard."

"Yes, sir," I muttered. I set the plate aside and started cleaning the other one. After that was clean I turned to look at my father. "So are you taking us to the camp this afternoon?"

He nodded. "Yep. Do you have everything packed?"

"Just about."

"Alrighty. I'll be in my office until 12:30."

I watched him leave, then looked at the clock on the microwave.

7:56

We had some time to hang out and get to know each other better. I walked out of the kitchen to see Drake watching some cartoon on my TV.

He looked up and smiled. "Hey. What's up?"

"We have some time to hang before we go," I said.

Drake's eyes lit up excitedly. "Cool! What do you wanna do?"

"I was thinking we could go for a walk." I smiled shyly. "There's a place I like going to. It's a little far, but easy to get to."

"I'm game," Drake yawned and stretched. He turned the TV off and stood up.

I grinned and rushed to put some decent clothes on and my shoes. Drake went into the bathroom to do the same, a little nervous smile on his face.

I think he doesn't like his body, I thought sadly. It's a rather fine body in my opinion.

I blushed lightly, thinking about him shirtless. All the scars on his body were beautiful in a way. I was disappointed to think that he wanted to hide himself from me.

Maybe if we get to know each other, I'll tell him that I think he's rather handsome.

Drake walked into the living room to put his shoes on as I zipped up my lightweight hoodie. "Are you ready?"

"Yeah. You lead the way."

I walked out of my house with Drake following me, hearing him close the door behind. There was a patch of forest, dark with an abundance of foliage, with a path that lead to a nearby park, and past that was another section of wooded darkness. I lead Drake through the forest, following the footpath into the open park.

He gazed around, a look of slight disappointment on his face. "I thought you were taking me somewhere....cooler."

I chuckled and grabbed his hand to pull him along. He seemed to blush when I did so, but he looked away before I could really see.

"I'm taking you to my secret hide out," I said. He seemed to hesitated a bit, which made my spirits drop a little. "Unless you don't want to go. Which is totally fine with me."

"No no. I want to see it," he spoke quickly. He smiled kindly. "I think it's cool that you've got your own secret place you go to. How'd you find it?"

I spoke as I dragged him along. "I spent a week here before going to your church, so I got to explore a bit. I stumbled upon the area about three days ago and made it my place. I'm not sure if anyone else has been there. If they have, I don't see evidence of anyone."

"Cool!" Drake sounded truly impressed, which made me feel good. I wanted him to be proud of me.

As we entered the other forest across the park, I pulled him off the footpath into the leafy nature, making my way along the hidden path I've made. I finally stopped at the edge of a small clearing where a tiny, old, worn down shack sat.

"This is it?" Drake asked, a little amused. "It's cute."

I blushed a little as I walked to the shack and opened the door. It squealed loudly, shattering the silence of the tranquil forest, and opened up to a dimly lit room.

Inside there were blankets and pillows and an old pullout couch that was permanently stuck pulled out. I had the battery powered lanterns sitting on old tables and the floor, giving the room light to see.

Drake looked impressed when I turned around to see his reaction. "Did...Did you do all this?"

I nodded nervously. "Yeah... My dad had some old blankets and pillows to take out to the garbage, so I brought them here."

"It's cozy." Drake said as he settled down on the couch bed. "Do you stay here some times? Like, spend the night?"

"Once. I just needed to get out of the house and this is the only place I could go to."

"Well, I like it," Drake exclaimed. He seemed at peace here, comfortably reclined on the couch, so I joined him there. He seemed pleased with that. "If you fixed it up more, got new furnishings and maybe a generator, I wouldn't mind living here."

"I've thought about that," I sighed. "It costs a lot of money, though. I don't have a lot of money."

"I understand." Drake looked at me, his eyes gazing into mine. "I'm glad I got to meet you, Adam," he said quietly.

I don't know why, but I had the sudden urge to kiss him fully on the lips. I didn't, though. I was scared he would get mad at me and I didn't want that. But I was really confused by how I felt, I just murmured a "Yeah. Glad I meat you too" before turning my gaze up to the ceiling.

Am I gay...? I thought in complete confusion and slight fear. I thought that I was attracted to girls, but it seems I'm also attracted to Drake, who is a guy.... A sudden, chilling thought entered my mind and I resisted the urge to whimper in terror. What would my dad think? He'd hate me and kick me out.

"Adam?" Drake's concerned voice broke me out of my thoughts. "Are you okay? You look a little scared."

I smiled at him, hoping it was believable. "I'm fine. Don't worry."