2

Lunch (Adam)

After church my father walked toward Drake and his mother, shaking both of their hands. I barely heard them exchange names and compliments because I noticed Drake's dark brown eyes staring at me, his cheeks turning a slight pink when I made eye contact with him and he turned away.

"Are you Adam Nixon?" I turned to see a pretty blonde girl with brown eyes smiling at me. "Hi. I'm Britney. Britney Waters."

"Oh. Hi." I said awkwardly. I was never great with girls. "Um, nice to meet you?"

She leaned against the wall and arched her back slightly, pushing her chest out. "So do you want to go to lunch with me?" Britney blinked her eyes in that way that screams I-Want-You. "We can get to know each other better."

I awkwardly glanced away, looking at anyone but her. "Ah. Sorry. I'm gonna have lunch with Drake. Um, have you seen him?" I glanced at Drake as he saw me, his jaw clenching when he saw Britney with me. "Oh. I found him. I should go now. Bye."

I hurried toward Drake, my heart thudding, as I heard his mother saying something about the camp to my father. "Yeah. It's a great place for your son to stay at. It has a school there and they're very good with having people turn toward God."

Drake nodded toward the doors, indicating that we should go outside, and we both walked outside. "I saw you with Britney." Drake murmured.

"Oh." I blushed in embarrassment. "Is she with you?"

"What? No!" Drake shook his head in disgust. "I'd never be around her. She's just a little slut." He widened his eyes after that. "Oops. Sorry."

"It's fine." I said, shrugging it off. I found it kinda funny to see him in a fumble with apologies.

Drake nodded, a bit uncertain. "Yeah. She slept with three boys, claiming they raped her." He spat at the ground, as if the words left a bad taste in his mouth. "All three boys spent time in juvie since she's daddy's princess."

"Really?" I felt a bit worried. "Does her family believe her?"

"Yeah. Everyone thinks she's an angel." Drake looked down. "Stay away from her. She'll ruin your life."

"Okay. I will." I said. I saw Britney looking at me flirtatiously at her car.

"Drake!" I heard Drake's mother call her son's name. I turned to see my dad and Drake's mother walking toward us. "Drake, Adam and Christian are going to eat with us at that Chinese place you love." Drake's mother said.

"Okay. I'm cool with that." Drake answered a little too casually.

"Are you okay with that, Adam?" My father asked politely. His blue eyes bore into mine.

"Yeah." I squeaked.

"Alright. Meet us at that Chinese place down the road." Drake's mother said. Drake followed her to their car as my dad unlocked our car.

"How do you like that Drake kid?" My dad asked calmly.

I got into the passenger's seat and buckled up. "He's a nice guy," I muttered. "A bit awkward, though."

My father nodded slowly as he started the car and started to pull out of our parking spot. "And how about Britney? She's a nice young lady."

"I guess," I answered warily.

"I want you to get together with her." My father said in a business-like tone as we drove out of the parking lot. "She'll help you with your....issues."

"But-"

"No arguments, Adam!"

I sighed. "Yes, sir..."

○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●

"So, Adam." I turned to look at Willa, Drake's mother, as she asked me, "How are you liking Oregon?"

"Eh. I'll get use to it." I answered honestly. "Illinois was a great place but I'm pretty sure I'll like Oregon just as well."

My dad chuckled. Drake picked at his half eaten spicy chicken, not looking at me. It kinda made me upset.

"Drake." My dad looked at him. Drake snapped his head up to look at him. "How's you're life been? Do you have a girlfriend?"

I felt a pang of anger at the thought of him having a girlfriend. I guess it must've been because he's my first friend and I wanted him to myself for a while.

"Um. No girls." Drake said nervously. He set his fork down as quietly as he could. "Haven't found one I'm attracted to. Yet."

Good. I thought. It surprised me to feel this way. I was really sure it was because he's my first friend in this state.

"I keep trying Drake to find a girl, but he's just so picky." Willa said, making her son blush lightly.

My father laughed. "Yeah. I have a picky son myself."

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah. I'm very picky."

Everyone laughed. I even got a chuckle out of Drake, giving me a warm feeling.

God, he's so hot. I almost spit out my food. Where did that thought come from?

Drake looked at me curiously until I looked down. I was probably blushing really brightly.

When we left to go home, my dad said that he had to deal with some church things and left for his study while I walked to my room, tired from a more stressful day than I hoped.

I fell onto my bed and stared at the ceiling, wrapping my blankets around my body. I smiled slightly as I thought about Drake. I can't wait to see Drake again.