Chapter Eleven-1

**Author's note**

Hey guys, so chapter eleven is a little long so I separated it into two parts if that's okay :)

I'll be uploading the second part shortly.

Enjoy!!

Chapter Eleven

I suppose getting angry much resembled getting high in certain aspects... There are moments when you are bold enough to say what you're actually thinking without filtering. You tend to hurt the people you care about and then regret it later. But most importantly, you feel completely exhausted once your anger burns out.

That's exactly how I felt, 2 hours later, sitting on a moldy rock and staring at the ocean waves. This was the beach Luke had taken me not too long ago. It merged with the night, creating an infinite view of darkness and little bright spots of stars.

 I sighed softly, pulling my legs toward me and tried unsuccessfully to calm my racing heart. I felt guilty for many things and realized I was being very irrational earlier.

The waves beat against the shore then lapped hungrily back into the sea. I stared at the motions and tried to sort the facts out in my head.

It was clear that Frans had some sort of ability that led him to read minds, but why did he seem as if he was shocked at my questions and my actions earlier?

It was also certain that somehow, whoever killed my father must have had close connection to both me and Frans, as my father knew Frans as well.

I stopped short.

What if, it was Frans' father who did it??

I quickly ticked off motivation in my list. He also needed to have a grudge strong enough to end my father's life... According to Frans, they were friends. But why didn't he kill him sooner then?

My mind traced back to the picture Luke held. In it, there were three people. A lady who wasn't my mother. Who was that?

"I'm sorry," the words made me jump and I nearly fell off the rock. I turned round swiftly and my eyes locked with familiar green ones.

Luke stood a few feet away from me; wearing grey pants that he rolled up to his knees and a brown sweater. His face was apologetic and his eyes repentant. He smiled hesitantly, walking forward until he engulfed me in a hug.

His musky scent calmed me instantly and I returned the hug, finally able to calm my heart. We stayed like that for a while; until he let go and assessed my face.

"How much did he tell you?" he asked as he sat on the rock, pulling me to his side.

"Not much," I grumbled and looked out again. "Is he truly a mind reader?"

Luke chuckled beside me. "Yes I suppose you can say that. Although he's getting better at control, he shuts it out when he wants to."

I turned to stare at him with incredulous eyes. "Can he read my mind?" Bits of the story Frans had given me began to make more sense.

As I expected, Luke shook his head. "Not always, he has a theory about that."

"Which is?" I pressed, trying to understand.

Luke laughed. "Don't ask me, love. If I know Frans well enough, he'll probably come to you and give you the answer himself before the week ends."

"Why is that?" I wondered idly, staring at the enchanting water yet again.

"It's his nature, I suppose. If I assume correctly, he must feel like he wronged you somehow, especially since you slapped him."

I gasped. "You know??"

Luke stared at me knowingly.

"There is no secret between cousins," he replied simply as he wound his arms around me, making me feel warm and comfortable enough that I finally fell asleep under the stars.