Chapter Four

**Author's note**

I hope you enjoy this chapter, major action in the next one!!

"Quick, bright a bird falls down to us,

Darkness piles up in the trees."

                                                                                                                                              ~Eloise James

CHAPTER FOUR

NAME

x/100

RANKING

VIOLET HEISENBERG

37%

23/23

                    I stared at the results in complete dismay, not believing my eyes. They were posted outside the lab and Bran, the insufferable know-it-all with an annoying accent sniggered as he stood behind me. Did I mention that he was the worst chauvinist of all time?

                   The scripts were laid on the table at the front of the lab and as we all trudged back in; I could almost feel my mood blackening. It was already a semester into medical school but how could I perform so poorly? I reflected on the sleepless nights I had, studying but my mind always drifted back to the last time I saw my father healthy and alive; the last time I puked all next to his head.

                   I felt queasy as I grabbed my paper from the bottom of the pile. I seemed to have been the only one with an F, my runner up having a B+. How were these people so smart anyway? Were they drinking omega 3 in beer bottles over the weekend or something? Or did they all have some massive study group where they shared all the answers? How come I wasn't invited?

                    As I stared at my paper, my heart sank as I read the comments beneath. Professor Kim, an old, wise, South Korean professor, had scribbled furiously.

SEE ME!!!!

                      I gulped nervously as I left the lab and trudged slowly towards his office. My classmates were unaware of my leave, each of them gasping delightedly at the scores, including my lab partners, Mary and Josh. As I stood outside his office and knocked once, I sent a silent prayer to the divinity, hoping that he wouldn't completely roast me alive.

                      "In," his voice sounded irritated.

                       Uh. Oh.

                      I opened the door only a fraction and then sidled in. Professor looked completely intent in his work and only looked up once. When he met my gaze, he smiled wickedly.

                     "Hello, Violet. Please take a seat," he said, gesturing the seat opposite him.

                     I sat carefully, my heart palpitating.