Chapter Two- 1

**Author's note**

Hi. :)

Please leave a like or comment if you enjoy, or not ;)

I've divided the chapter because it's a little long, next one coming soon!!

Chapter Two

"Death is my son-in-law. Death is my heir.

My daughter he hath wedded. I will die,

And leave him all. Life, living, all is Death's."

~William Shakespeare

I stared into the cremator as I stood with my brother at the committal room, watching from a window as my father was being cremated. Tears spilled silently down my cheek and my brother held my arm and pulled me into his chest as I began to sob uncontrollably. I had never experienced grief before. My mother had died too early for me to remember anything. It was all so sudden. How could all this happen in a span of a day? My brother clung on to me as my body began to shake, as my mind warily remembered the day before.

24 hours ago...

I sat on the stool and twirled for a bit, glad that the frequent customers of the shop today had been temporarily evicted and replaced by excited twelve year olds who were having tea after the end of their summer camp. Most of them were girls who seemed happy yet a little nostalgic that the camp had to end so suddenly. I smiled inwardly. I could not even remember if I had such an age when I was that carefree.

Tiffany was in a good mood as well and offered me a chance to relax as she did most of the waiting on the large group of children. She smiled often as she replaced their cups of coffee and gave them their share of waffles. I wondered what kept her in such good spirits. Perhaps it was the weather. For the first time in almost a month, the temperature was favorably cool. The sun still shone through the windows, but there was an unmistakable breeze that seemed to cool the tiny shack and make the afternoon even more enjoyable. I swayed my feet as I sipped my iced latte.

The door swung open and the bell chimed shortly after. I looked up and almost choked on my drink. There, standing on the hallway, was a picture of Adonis. His attire seemed to match his demeanor as he wore a pair of black pants and a beige turtleneck sweater. Yet as soon as I saw his ensemble, I immediately forgot them as my hazel eyes perused his face. His hair was jet black and his face paler than I could imagine with the heat outside. His lips looked like they had just sunk into a cherry and its juice was what was left as an imprint. My eyes finally locked with his and I stopped breathing.

His eyes... They seemed to be the darkest I had ever seen. As if they had been reincarnated from hell's coal itself, they burned me and much as I tried to look away, they held me into submission. All I could do was to falter and fall into that dark abyss. This was probably why I didn't notice that he now stood in front of me.

"Do you know where Tiffany is?" he asked and his voice reminded me vaguely of my brother's out- of-bed voice.

His words startled me and I nearly toppled over my stool. I hastily readjusted myself, got off and realized how much taller he was than me.

Could this be...? Mr. Hottie from Mars?

He cleared his throat, startling me out of my thoughts.

"Well?" he asked curtly.

I seemed to be fumbling with words. With a trembling finger, I pointed to Tiffany's direction and his eyes finally released me from their scorching gaze.

"Tiffany!" he called out, his voice ringing clear. It was an immemorial voice, one that I wanted to hear whisper silly things into my ear... or perhaps even moan my name...

Stop it Violet! What is the matter with you? Since when do you have such sexual thoughts?

Tiffany swiveled round and her eyes lit up when she saw the man. She immediately bounded forward with a huge grin.

"Frans!! "She said, ecstatically nearly throwing herself at him. I could do nothing but gaze at her. She was never this energetic even when her own father was around inspecting the shop.

I turned to gaze at him and noticed his eyes grew warmer as he spoke to her.

"Can you please reserve a table for me and an associate of mine? Do you remember Amber?" he said, his voice alluring now.

How can he change the tone of his voice so nonchalantly?

Tiffany nodded so furiously, I actually thought her head was going to fall off.

Wait, why does he use associate instead of friend? And why isn't she jealous of Amber, because she clearly has a thing for him?

Tiffany turned to gaze at me, her eyes signaling for me to follow her. Once we were behind the counter, she pulled me to the kitchen and pushed me against the wall.

"Ow! Tiffany!" I yelped as my shoulder seared with pain.

"Violet!! Its him!! Mr. Hottie From Mars!!" she sighed softly.

I racked my brains and finally remembered the day last week. He had come over looking like a homeless person!! Oh my God!! He was the same man who smelt like rotten fish!!

Just the thought made me want to barf.

"Really?" I stage whispered to Tiffany, even though I knew he wasn't even close to listening. "Wasn't he that ugly guy last time?"

Tiffany whacked my arm and I yelped again.

"Oh shush Vee. Yeah, he had some trouble at home so he went out drinking all night. Anyway, since I'm busy with the kids, can you wait on Frans?" she asked, holding her hands together and her face looked so pleading.

I stared at her for a long moment, trying to contemplate if waiting on him was the best idea if I couldn't even make two words before my heart stopping altogether.

What is with you, Vee? He's just a boy.

Yeah, but I'm also just a girl.

Sigh. I was even quoting Avril Lavigne now.

"Earth to Vee? Are you going to do it? I don't like waiting on Amber, I don't like her but I can't hate her too," she said.

That got me out of my reverie. I knew she would be jealous. "Why can't you hate her?" I asked curiously.

She grabbed a tray as she headed out. "You'll see"

**************

Eep!!! What is with Amber anyway? Who's your favorite character so far? :)