Chapter Five

"It's highly unlikely for man to find out when he will die

But every day, he seems to be chasing it."

CHAPTER FIVE

It was almost eight o'clock when we finally finished going through my paper with Frans. Luke, his incredibly handsome and cocky cousin did not give me any chance to fully concentrate by distracting me to a point where he was full on singing a limerick he learnt from his younger brother. I mentally shuddered at thinking of a younger, less tame version of Lucas. I had bid them short farewells thereafter and Frans was all business when he said that I would meet him in the laboratory after class to show him my dissection skills.

As I was heading out, Lucas ran ahead and stopped me on my tracks. He wore a goofy smile and his brown hair was matted cutely across his forehead.

"Violet, I forgot to ask, are you free Saturday night?" he scratched his ear nervously and he had a strange accent; one that I knew I heard before but wasn't so sure where it was from.

I tried to sound casual, as I asked, "Sure, why?"

Lucas put his hands in his jeans pockets and seemed to rock a little. Was he that nervous?

"I could show you around the beach, if you want."

I gawped. There was a beach?????

Lucas laughed and I belatedly realized I had just said that out loud. "Yeah, it's not far from here. Can I get your number so I can call you before and pick you up?"

I smiled politely, handing him my cellphone and once he was done, he grinned as he gave me way to walk away. I began pondering the location and the scenery at the beach. It was slightly warmer this time of year and I wondered if I had even carried a bikini from home. My phone buzzed in my bag and I snapped out of it to pick it up.

Just as I put my phone to my ear, it was violently grabbed off by some masked person furiously riding his bike. I was momentarily shocked before I yelled an obscenity and began running after him. Who was it that just called me? What if they were still on the line, helplessly listening to wind. What if it was Lucas????

Oh no, the one time a guy actually gets your number and you ruin it by letting the slug take your phone!!

"Help!! The idiot grabbed my phone!" I yelled as I chased him across campus.

Unfortunately, there were very few people out as most of them were at the bar or having dinner. I cursed silently as I willed myself to go faster. The biker seemed to be weaving his way straight to the campus' small forest that they cheekily called a nature trail but was really just a bunch of tree trunks that college couples would smack on.

He seemed to be skilled but he was pedaling so he was getting tired. So was I, but I closed my eyes and willed the bagel I ate for lunch to go straight to my legs and make me run faster. He turned his head for a split second and I could just make out black glasses and a smug smile as he continued pedaling faster. He was now pedaling between the trees and the ground made it a little harder for him to go any faster. I smiled sardonically before I ran with all my might and as if he was reading my mind, he stopped suddenly so I almost crashed into him. I stopped mid-way and ended up falling down instead. He watched me and threw my phone on the ground before pedaling away.

I quickly readjusted myself. "Hey!" I yelled before I heard a resounding boom and I was thrown to the forest floor by it. I screamed shortly and covered my head, completely frightened. Suddenly, I felt strong arms wrap themselves around me and seemed to shield me from whatever had just exploded. I could feel the heat on my legs and a burning sensation on my feet. My heart hammered crazily and I could smell smoke. The person on top of me released their weight off me and seemed to lift me. I heard something creak as if it were about to fall.

"WATCH OUT!!"I heard someone yell, their voice anxious. I opened my eyes and saw a huge tree fall straight at me. The person was cradling me in their arms and I screamed shortly before they began to run away from the tree. It crashed with a thud and another explosion erupted, making the person fly out of balance and they let go of me, hopefully unintentionally.

I fell down again and this time, I saw dark spots and realized the first sign of fainting before I sunk into a dark abyss.

̙̘

I could feel pressure on my right hand that made my heart flutter and I heard a beep indicating my skipped beat. Wait, was I attached to a machine?

As I was busy contemplating the fact, I could feel a little pressure on my forehead and I supposed it was the same hands because my heart flew. It was as if those hands were dipped in water and touched an electric circuit because they immediately withdrew, leaving us both shocked. My eyes flew open and jet black hair came into focus. It was Frans. He smiled and my heart stuttered. He took his gaze off me to glance at the machine worriedly.

"I think there's something wrong with this. It's been at this ever since I got here," he grumbled and turned to look at me.

Oh shit! I have the jitters because of Frans?

I struggled to find my voice. "What happened? Why am I here?"

Frans frowned. "You were caught up in the forest, remember?"

I remembered. The heat, smoke, the falling tree.... I shuddered and immediately felt my whole body ache. It was as if it were on fire. Frans stood up and smoothed my covers.

"Careful, Bolt. You ran almost 5 miles and your muscles are protesting; rightfully so. Why did you go to the woods, anyway?"

"Why are you here?" I asked, still sorting facts in my head.

Frans looked down and his pale skin colored ever so slightly.

I don't know. His voice was somber but far away. Once again, his lips seemed unmoving.

"Why don't you know?"

Frans looked up, puzzled. "What did you say?"

I lifted my hand with difficulty. "You. You said that you don't know. Plus you didn't move your lips. Are you a ventriloquist?"

Frans repeated the words to himself and it dawned on him. Something I still did not understand. Just as his onyx eyes flashed with understanding, he locked his eyes with mine and the world seemed to stop. So did my heart apparently, for I couldn't even hear anything. He broke eye contact with me and looked at the machine, alarmed until the machine began again.

Can you hear me, Violet?

"Yes of course I can," I replied with certainty, even though he wasn't moving his lips again.

It was alarmingly quiet as we locked gazes again and I struggled to keep my heart under control. Why was it so quiet?

Violet is weird.

"Hey!" I exclaimed and he seemed deeper in understanding. He smiled again but I realized this smile was one of triumph.

He began to rise but I grabbed his arm, wincing slightly at the motion. The pleasurable current was there again and I wanted to sigh so badly. He glanced at my hand on his leathered arm and turned to me questioningly.

"You didn't tell me why you were here," I mumbled foolishly.

He smiled crookedly and it took my breath away. "I'll tell you when you're better, Violet. Sleep for now."

With that, he gently prized my fingers from his jacket and put it back on the bed. He chuckled at my sour expression before he headed for the door. Before he left, he turned and said, "Don't be late for tomorrow's lesson. You'll be allright by then."