Chapter Ten

**Warning, the following chapter may contain scenes of violence and adult language. Read at your own risk**

I was seething by the time we were back on campus and for the first time I didn't even care that Luke was wobbling off the bike, looking a little green.

He tried catching up to my speed and grabbed my arm, spinning me around. He was taken aback by my murderous expression.

"Let. Me. Go," I broke it into syllables, pronouncing it in between clenched teeth.

"You're not thinking straight," he said. "The recording means nothing. It was just him meeting Frans. Why are you angry?"

It took me a moment before to build up steam again. "Because he pretended he knew nothing about my father. Because in the recording, he met my father three days before he died. Doesn't that seem suspicious to you?"

Luke shrugged, still holding onto my arm not budging.

"Regardless, this doesn't prove anything." His eyes were guarded and even though he spoke casually, his voice sounded as if he chose his words with care.

I stared accusingly. "You know something, don't you?"

Luke didn't reply, but I could see the alarm in his green eyes. I wrenched my arm from him, disgusted.

"For all I know, he could be the killer," I said before I turned and walked away.

I could hear him calling my name and that just made me start running; toward the Lab Frans and I always studied in.

I could feel like my anger was irrational but I could not help but remember the story that Frans had told me. Like this was all part of some puzzle that I was finally beginning to solve. If what he was saying meant that my father experimented on him when he was younger, it could give him motive enough to kill him.

Luke shouted at me but I ignored him, until I reached the lab door. I flung it open and was met with Frans' surprised expression.

For a moment, I was dazzled at his beauty. It had been almost a month since I last saw him. His dark curly hair was now a little over his shoulder and it was tied in a low ponytail and he looked so nerdy in his large glasses.

He was sitting at the end of the lab, poring over a large black book.

Luke was just a few seconds shy of me and he huffed behind me.

"Frans," he wheezed.

Gosh, he was unfit.

I rolled my eyes.

"What is it, cuz?" he asked, apprising my black outfit that I completely forgot about. I realized I probably looked like a sweaty black cat but I pushed the thought out of my mind.

I glared at him. "We need to talk."

He quirked a brow at me, tilting his head curiously.

"Don't cuz," Luke said," Please."

"Luke just go," I whispered, turning with pleading eyes.

He stared at me for a long moment, his green eyes turning slowly into melted emerald and I knew I had won. He turned to Frans with a calculating look, as if he was thinking hard about something. Then he just patted my shoulder softly, muttering an apology and left, closing the door behind us.

I turned to Frans to see him smiling patiently at me.

"Have a seat, Violet," he said my name like a caress and it made a little of my anger melt away.

Until I remembered the reason I was here. I stepped a little closer to him and saw his face change; it became perfectly neutral.

"Do you remember the story you told me at the hospital?" I asked.

That threw him a little. He seemed to be expecting something else. He nodded, however.

"Yes, what of it?" he replied, heading to his spot and pulled off his glasses.

I walked to him, my mind reeling. "You were the boy, weren't you?"

He stopped, his hand hovering midair. I must have hit a nerve.

"Perhaps," he said casually. "Why?"

"Well, wouldn't you want to take revenge on the person who did this to you?" I asked, trying my best to be grammatical and questioning at the same time.

He looked up, shocked and his black eyes were unexpectedly vulnerable. I could see them pleading at me but for what?

"I didn't know who the person was," he said softly, his eyes locking into mine.

I scoffed, pulling out the recorder and slamming it on the table. I pressed play and we both listened to my father's voice, welcoming Frans.

"Why were you seeing my father then?"

"You have no right to ask that," he replied, staring at my recorder with a little disdain.

I blanched.

"What do you mean no right?" I asked, my voice furious. "For all I know, you could have murdered him for... for your own selfish gain!"

It was his turn to look outraged. He stood up, his eyes blazing black fire. He walked up to me until we were literally inches apart.

"You think I'm a murderer? You think I'd kill that piece of shit that turned me into a fucking laughing stock?" he whispered and his breath blew on my face. His words cut into me like a knife. I wished he just shouted these words at me. His hushed, controlled voice hit me harder.

I don't know how I slapped him. I guess it was because he called my father a piece of shit. Or maybe he was just infuriating me to the point that I had to let it out somehow.

The sound of it echoed across the room and my hand burned as it met his face. He gasped softly and stood his ground even after I lowered my hand. His face was expressionless and his eyes tormented me with their dead look.

"I will find the truth Frans," I muttered, my voice cracking at the end as a few traitor tears fell across my cheek. "And never talk badly about my father again. At least respect the dead."

I was blinded with rage as I turned round and walked quickly to the exit, not wanting to see Frans for fear I would slap him again or shout or just plain strangle him. My chest felt like exploding and when I pulled the door open, it was no surprise when I bumped into someone and nearly fell over.

The person was Amber and she steadied both of us. Her eyes were lit in excitement but something in my expression made her frown.

"Are you allright?" she asked, reaching out to me.

"No. Leave me alone," I snapped and immediately regretted it when I saw her hurt expression. I then realized she was heading to see Frans and sneered when I saw she was carrying what looked like takeout.

"He's in there alone," I said slowly. "Have fun."

I walked away and when I thought she wasn't seeing me, I let the tears fall, wishing they were enough to drown me.

***

OMGGGG VIOLET CAN BE A BITCH! I hope you enjoyed the chapter, I had a few reservationss when I was writing it but oh well haha.

Please let me know what you think!

See ya soon!!