The Ride

His hand slid past the threshold, the odd angle at which the vortex was spinning kept changing in a pattern motion.  Then, the same feeling as before.  The world around him began breaking down into geometric patterns then shattering into pieces.  Even the sound of the wind seemed to break into different, yet nearly identical pieces of sound.  It was odd, but he did not feel the primal, instinctual fear as he had before.  Actually, he was surprisingly calm considering the world as he knew it could very well be ending.  However, it was in his very nature to explore the reaches beyond settlements and villages, mountains and forests!  This time was very, very different of course, but it would hopefully turn into the grandest adventure yet! 

     Just as the amazement washed over young Charles, the world so full of perfectly incomprehensible patterns of shapes colors lights and sounds, an indescribable force seemed to rip him from his body and into the very cosmos themselves at light speed!  Faster and faster through this portal and that!  Through planets and stars, galaxies and nebulae,  and into a new space altogether!  Then, full stop.  Charles believed for sure he had died, that if he opened his eyes he would be either in heaven or hell, so best to keep them closed.  That of course didn't work.

     Slowly, truly believing himself dead, he opened his eyes.  What he saw, struck him with such deep awe and joy, he lost his breath.  Everything had sharp, defined edges.  There were trees and plants that defied logic, bulging with geometric precision here and there without regard for the apparent location of light.  The light, so pure white yet easy to look at, seemed to come from everywhere.  The colors were so crisp and clear, there were colors he had never dreamed of in all his life.  Purples and greens and pinks!  Yellows and blues and reds!  It was awe inspiring! Even the tears, falling freely from his face now, looked as crystals sparkling in the sun, yet fluid in motion.  Charles fell to his knees, buried his face in his hands and wept, unable to do anything else...