The Beginning

It was dark, but he didn't remember turning out the lights. A strange wind echoed through the room, odd since there were no windows in this wing. As a prince, he feared little from intruders as he was constantly guarded by the watchful royal guard. Still he shivered, a strange tingling sensation raced down his spine. It was fear. Though he has felt little of it, there was no doubt. His heart was racing and his palms were cold and sweaty. "Who's there!" the prince shouted. Silence, but the air continued to swirl about. "I demand you show yourself!" he shouted again. This time, as if in response to his commanding voice, a spark lit up in the center of the room causing the prince to jolt back against the headboard of his bed. Slightly dazed, the he returned his gaze to the place where the spark had been and something strange was happening.

A mirage, in the middle of the empty space where the light had been, wavered wistfully. The prince blinked rapidly and rubbed his eyes, believing his vision must still be blurry from the blow to his head. No, that wasn't it at all. The unnatural event was still unfolding in front of his eyes! The prince began to notice a strange new feeling, a sort of pulling. "What's this?" he thought to himself? It seemed to be pulling him toward the same spot, almost like a vortex! Almost as if it was inviting him in. Strange, it wasn't enough to force him at all, but was like a gentle tug for his attention. He could feel himself struggling to make a choice, stay or go. Should he approach the anomaly, or should he wait patiently for help to arrive?

he waited a few long minutes then decided to investigate, withdrew from his covers and approached the vortex with apprehension. One foot, then the other. The strange tug never increased, but persisted as he closed the gap. Upon reaching the vortex, the prince slowly moved his hand into the vortex. At that moment, he felt a very strange vibrating feeling and the world around him began to shimmer and change! Quickly he pulled his hand away and everything snapped quickly back to normal, no lingering effects either. The prince was speechless! Not that there were anyone around to hear him speak that is. "Where is everyone?" he thought aloud. "This place should be crawling with guards right now...". Rather than risk de-materializing again, the prince decided to go check the hallway beyond his ornate oak doors. Grabbing the handle, the prince gave a forceful tug and the door swung wide open.

There, as though nothing was amiss, stood the guards normally posted outside his door, seemingly oblivious to the happenings mere feet from where they stood, in the room of the heir to the throne no less! "You there! Guard! Why are you just standing there?!" the prince shouted angrily! However, the guard did not respond. So the prince moved to strike the guards helmet, forcing him to pay attention but his hand struck and invisible wall. "Whats this sorcery?" the prince raged aloud! He struck the wall of energy, so much his hand hurt from the desperate attempt. Refusing to be defeated, the prince went to the book-shelf and pulled a hidden switch, activating a hidden passage way. Unfortunately, this too had an invisible barrier. Out of options, the prince returned to the vortex, once again deciding to explore the magic it contained. Slowly, full of fear and hesitation, the prince slowly drew his hand closer to the vortex...