Everyone Else But You

On my way to the school corridors, my phone toned.

 "Oh, goody. A text message. Wonder who’s it from.” I said to myself expecting it was Rose’s text message. By the way, at that time, Rose wasn’t with me. She went to his cousin about some family discussions. So, I checked my phone out and opened that text message.

 “Hi!” said the text message from an unsaved number.

I doubted the text message. Only a few people in this world knew my number because I don’t usually give it to some random people I don’t know.

 I replied. “Where in the world did you get my number?” Message sent.

 I was still wondering who that person was. In just less than a minute, my phone received another message.

 “I asked someone to get your number.” The message said.

 My face was ruined. If I knew who shared my number to someone, it will be straight unforgivable. I texted again. “Well, who are you, then?”

 I can’t wait to receive that next message. I was dying to know who’s behind this sorcery. I stared at my phone as if I was waiting for something extraordinary to happen.

 A minute passed and no message arrived. I was starting to wonder. I sent the same message I sent earlier again. Then, less than five seconds, my long awaited message arrived.

 “Would you be happy if I told you, I’m Cody?” said that message.

 My head turned upside-down. My sky turned gray to black. I became furious with no particular reason.

 I immediate pressed the reply button. “How dare you text to my phone! You schmuck!” No hesitations, press send. I turned off my phone so that no one can text me especially, for some strangers.

Finally, I exited the school campus. Almost all of the students are out. In a parking lot, I saw Rose with some girl who seemed to have a serious conversation. I approached them not letting Rose know I was there. I patted Rose’s shoulder that surely scared the guts out of her.

“Hey!” I greeted.

Rose flipped as if some ghost touched her. “Ah!” she shouted. “Don’t scare me like that!”

“Oh, sorry.” I apologized. “So, what’s up? Seems like you have some company here.”

The girl smiled at me. I replied her a smile as well.

“Her?” said Rose. “She’s Lily. She’s my cousin. Just transferred here a while ago.”

“Well, hello there. I am Samantha Nicole but you can call me Nick.” I introduced myself. I lent my hand and offered her a friendly handshake.

“That’s a cute name but I don’t usually hear very long names. By the way, Lily it is and I like your hair.” She grabbed my hand and shook it as if she’s accepting my friend request.

“I bet you’ll be very great friends. And Lily, you’ll be hanging out with us, from now on.” Rose slightly poked Lily’s shoulder.

“Yeah!” I agreed while I stuck in beside Lily’s. "That'd be fun"

While we were discussing on something, a familiar sound called me which made my head jolt to its source.

“Beep!” horned a car. My mom’s car which technically is our car. I saw mom open the driver seat window and Niall at her side.

“Sam! Come! Let’s go home.” Called my mom.

Mom and I exchanged waves as Rose and Lily joined in as well.

“Invite your friends to have dinner tonight.” yelled mom.

I smiled jolly. I was so excited.

“Guys. Mom wants us to have dinner tonight at my house. What do you say?” I cheerfully asked.

“That would be wonderful. A chance to get to know Lily more.” Rose couldn’t wait. “Are you in, cous’?”

“Sure!” Lily was doubtless. “Why not, actually?”

The three of us were so happy. I invited them a drive to our house which they never resisted. Niall was so happy as well, seeing us with delight.

The car had a radio were tuned a popular song. In fact, one of my favorites. It’s called, “Roller Coaster of Life.” If you actually heard it, you won’t stop listening to it. Everyone of us sang along as my mom drove us on our way home.

As we rode the black BMW of life, an odd ringtone sang from nowhere.

“Oh my gosh, what was that?” I hesitated.

“What?” asked Rose. “Oh, maybe it’s my phone’s. Gonna check it out.”

Rose searched her cellphone in her bag that she found it less than ten seconds.

“Found it!” She announced.

“Gosh, Rosie. What ringtone was that? Next time, try to replace a descent ringtone, okay?” I evoked.

“Fine.” Rose rolled her eyes towards her cellphone. “Message!” She shouted.

I didn’t much pay attention to Rose because it wasn’t that much of a big deal. I went to check on Niall on what he was up to. To my surprise, Niall was talking with Lily about some guitar lessons. It turns out that Lily also does know how to play guitar and she offered Niall some guitar tutorial.

“Well, that’s great, honey.” Said my mom. “Finally, my son here can have a company of his same interest.”

Niall smiled. “You bet, mom.” Mom chuckled.

I was so happy everything seemed to be going perfectly despite the fact that some stalker who I secretly like, I mean, I assumed his a stalker because he keeps showing anywhere I go. A guy I first saw just this morning, then a moment later, he starts stalking me. I was thinking so deeply and at the same time guilty for what I’ve done.

Honestly, I’m a good girl. I don’t usually treat guys as a food I am allergic with which I try to avoid but in reality, I actually like it. No. Cody isn’t included in my allergy list. It’s just that I don’t know what to do. How to react. It seemed like there’s something that I’m trying to avoid being with Cody.

Early pregnancy? No. Heartbreak? Neither. It’s trust. Since my parents separated, I never looked at boys the same way because of my father. Dad was actually a guitar player in a band they call, Nandos’ Soccerball. Yes, it sounds weird but it’s actually it. He plays good and at the same time, he plays soccer.

That time, when my dad tried to divide his priorities, he prioritized soccer the most, then, his music career and he least considered mom. Mom was not happy of what was going on so she drove dad away from our house. After that day, we never saw him again until I saw a family with two kids, both girls, a baby carried by her mother and a toddler held by someone I used to call dad.

That day was really disappointing but Niall doesn’t believe that story because he’s still waiting for him.

 [4/13/13]

[So, this chapter seemed pretty okay. I edited a bit. Just a little bit. But it's cool. Comments are still apreciated.]