Don't Need Make-Up, To Cover Up

I let go of Rose’s hand as soon as we reached my locker.

“What the hell?” asked Rose. She didn’t really know what was actually going on. Both of us were panting but there wasn’t really any reason to be worried about. I leaned on my locker exhausted.

“What on earth, Nick? Are you drunk or something?” Said Rose. “I don’t know what’s with you today.”

I didn’t know what to say. I didn’t actually know what was going on with me. I feel like it was my last day here on earth. I just don’t have any idea or am I just unaware of what the day will bring for me.

“Oh my gosh, here he comes.” Rose gasped.

I was surprised. I didn’t know what to do. The first thing that came into my mind was –

“Ro, I need a facial.” Then I paused. My eyes were surprised of what I was saying.

“What is wrong with you Nick? I thought you never liked wearing make-up.” Rose hesitated.

“Is he there?” I had to check.

“I was just kidding. I know you’re not doing well today.”

I was relieved. I opened my locker. I saw something that thrilled my bones.

“What time is it now, Ro?” I forcefully asked.

“10:10 A.M.?” she said.

“Gosh, I am so late!” I grabbed my soccer ball and ran towards somewhere. “Later, Ro!”

Rose was left blank and tried to wish me good luck but I was already gone.

I was ten minutes late for tryouts. It was supposed to be ten o’clock but I don’t know what came into me that day. I was seriously uncomfortable. I think that’s how falling in love starts, doesn’t it?

I rushed into the soccer field. Everybody was already there. Probably, I was the one left late. I sprinted towards the line of the girls. They were watching me run towards them including our male coach.

I reached the line. I was so tired of running. I panted so much, I couldn’t say a word anymore.

“Huh, huh, Sorry coach. Huh, huh.” I apologized. I wiped off the sweat on my forehead.

“It’s okay.” He smiled. “Alright girls, let's get started!” Then, he whistled.

I was so relieved like I unloaded a very heavy burden on me.

The tryouts finally started. I was a bit confident and at the same time, nervous. My co-players were pretty good at it. It was almost my turn then, I saw a guy on the bleachers. Familiar again. Wearing a black coat and a white vest with a beautiful blonde hair. It was him. Butterflies raped my belly. My heart fell into the ground. I didn’t know what to do. I ran out of focus.

It was my turn. I need to kick the ball as hard as I can. I couldn't focus much because I can see in the bleachers, Cody was actually watching me. My hair was unraveled but there was no time to fix it. I flipped my hair into the air hoping it would look better and I charged at the ball.

"Aaaaaaah!" I kicked. My white rubber shoes haven't been that helping until that very moment.

The ball flew like it never flew before. It was like an eagle that soared into the sky. It was majestic. Everyone was staring at it like it was the center of all attraction. I was so shocked. I gasped unbelievably. I never kicked a ball that far. Just today. This day.

I watched the ball soar behind the sun. The flare behind it made my eyes wrinkle that susnny morning.

I glanced at the bleachers. There he was, watching the ball as it soared through the airs. He glanced at me and I automatically looked away. I didn’t get it why I get so shy when he sees me.

The ball landed. Everyone looked at me as if I did something strange. The coach smiled at me and started clapping and the rest participated. I was panting nervously and at the same time happy. The coach paced towards me. He offered me his hand and finally said, “We've got a new striker here.”

Everyone applauded. Well, at least, majority of them but I guess there were some that was pretty jealous. A girl neared me and she offered me a handshake.

“Romane, at your service.” She smiled. "That was the dopiest thing ever!"

I grabbed her hand and shook it while I smiled. “It’s actually Nicole but you can call me Nick and thank you.”

Everyone started prompting me a handshake which I never resisted granting.

I remembered the bleachers. Maybe he’s still watching. I turned back to it. It was empty. No one was sitting there. Cody already left.

As I see everyone happy. I discovered something rather unexpected. There, I saw Cody with our  coach. They were having some chat while Cody was staring at me. My eyes expanded still as I let myself walk away. While they were talking, I supposed they ended their talk by Cody saying, “Alright, dad.” I glanced at Cody. He put his headphones into his backpack. I grabbed my ball and started my steps out of the field.

A voice started to call me again. “Wait up!”

I never stopped. I knew it was Cody calling so I hurried my walk until it became a run for your life event.

My phone rang as I was on my way to the Cafeteria.

“Hey Ro!” I greeted.

“How was the tryouts?” Rose asked.

“You will never believe what just happened. Where are you, by the way?”

“On the way to where you are?” Rose said. "

“No. Let’s meet at the Cafeteria.”

“On my way.” She answered.

[4/13/13]

[Hey guys. So I made a lot of major changes on this and I think it's successful. And yeah, language might be a bit hysterical and metaphorical or maybe not. I was in an American way of speaking so I was kinda engaging an american accent to it and I hope I did well. Let me know if I did. I appreciate comments.]