chapter 43

Wordporn-series : This Madness Called Love. . (Chp.41).

*
*
*
***********

It was thesame feeling I felt years ago, barely 23, still an undergrad. Missing classes, drinking with the guys, an occasional drag of the smoke..something I didn't quite hold on to. The parties, the latenights and the sinking into the warmth of a woman's wet core and forgetting one's self till the next day, and leaving the next day, not really glancing back at the one sprawled on the bed. Just another face in the crowd..

It woke me up with a start, a clutching to my heart, I felt suffocated as though I was under water , claws to my skin, a burning sensation climbing from my thighs and then to my stomach eventually my eyes. It's misty and I don't understand why.

I roll of my bed, staggering to the dark to the fridge, my throat felt patched. Maybe that was it. But I couldn't shake the vibe dancing at the back of my mind, a negative vibe.
Then a sudden chill kisses my skin, as though caressing me, not to please but to instill fear, my heart begin to beat rapidly. .racing so fast as though I had hit the tracks and trying to catch my breath not so long ago.

"Mama" my head says

But mother was out of town, father too.

On some business trips to Lagos and then to calabar, a certain conference.

We weren't exactly well to do, but we were comfortable..enough that helping out a few friends with financial assistance wasn't a bother for me.

"Why do you...even mingle with us?" David asked me one of those days

"I mean, you come from a good home..not born with the silver spoon but...your spoon still sparkles when compared to our dirts-filled ones. And yet , here you are..here with the low and improvised. Being our leader, our friend and sometimes brother. Why do you mingle with us..?"

I sat pensive not knowing how to respond to it..
"I don't know..all my life I was raised to be prime and proper, talk to this, mingle with that, told who to meet and where to go to. Being an only child after ...I lost my brother, he was 3 years old..pops tightened the leach on me. Mother wanted me to be everywhere with her, not leaving her sight. I felt suffocated. I wanted to do what other kids did..have fun. Go wild..be myself. I wanted to be me and for a while I danced to their tunes and nodded my head to all their yeses and shook my head to their No's. But I was waiting on the time when I was old enough to do me..and that time came when I was to go to the university. They wanted me to go abroad and I refused. I wanted to stay here, not go to any private school but go to the public universities. Ofcourse we fought about it and when I purposely ignored the acceptance mail from Dale and one school from new York. They knew I meant business. I just wanted to live. What do I know, I was a fxxking kid who just wanted to be free..eventually they let me do what I wanted..and I was like..hell? I don't need to act all rich and stuff. Besides not as though my father is rich, we just have enough to go by and a few changes too ..live a comfortable life. And I got here... and hell was i happy to see you all again. Well technically I just wanted to be close to you guys again..like the way we were when we were kids."

"Your parents hated you hanging with the local kids in the neighbourhood. You used to jump the fence over to ours.." David reminisces

"Yup. Got a few bruises to show for it. I remember. But you see, I saw how happy and carefree you guys were. Playing under the rain, running around with sticks, going to bed late and doing stuffs...with reckless abandon and I was like. ..Yes, that's what I should be doing. I was a kid..growing up and I just wanted to enjoy every damn thing and then. ..I got into the university with you guys and you all fxxked me up big time. Made me a cassanova, a lady's man and some fierce war lawd .. Fxxk you all very much! !" I laugh