CHAPTER 17 - "When it comes to someone you love"

But it wasn't mine. The chancellor collapsed and I saw Bellamy standing right behind him holding his bloody sword. Then he looked up, relieved. Everyone was standing around us, stomached and no one dared talk. I didn't know what I should do so I let my sword fall and came into his arms.

"I told you not to let go." I whispered. Bellamy put his strong arms around me and hugged me tightly.

"Clarke ... I'm not going to get out of here that easily." He said caressing my hair while I was trying to hide my face against his chest.

"I know ... just don't let me down. I don't want to face them, not yet." I took a deep breath and looked up. Lexa was staring at us with kindness and compassion, and then she came down stairs. Bellamy gently pulled me back showing me that I had to join Lexa.

"I know what you think but this isn't an overturn. He didn't kill the chancellor because he wanted to rule. He did it because it was the right thing to do." Some voices started rising in the crowd but Lexa made them stop.

"We punished the leader not the follower." She said looking at Bellamy. "Remember Clarissa. How is this situation any different from what happened back then? We made a trial a long time ago. The defendant was guilty, so a duel took place and the leader died. That is exactly what happened today. The leader of Skaikru is dead, the conspirator of the Trikru massacre has paid for his crimes."

But one of the soldiers came out of the crowd and stood in front of Lexa. "Paid? I didn't even suffer it was quick and clean. Nothing compared to what our people have been through in Windblow." Lexa didn't replay and let him go on. The soldier wasn't offensive, he bowed respectfully and said: "Heda, I claim justice for our lost ones. Our justice. I call to the punishment of the hundred cuts." The crowd cheered the soldier's words.

"To who? The chancellor is dead. The problem is solved. Justice has been served." Lexa said firmly. But the soldier pointed Bellamy.

"Him! He's a Skaikru. He was on the hill. He deserves to pay for the sins of his people. Murderer! Murderer!" Some people came to Bellamy and started taking him but Octavia screamed. One of the soldiers saw her and grabbed her arm. "Here! She's a Skaikru! Take her away with him!" That was too much I ran to Octavia and pushed the soldier back.

"Run inside the Tower, take Bellamy with you." I said to her just before I stood in front of my people. I saw men looking at me with the darkest eyes I've ever seen. The man I punched was coming toward .me when Kort stopped him. Kort might be the oldest archer of Polis but he was still strong and respected in the entire kingdom, his words were considered wise and powerful.

"Look at us." He started. "The great people of Polis are nothing more than a bunch of scared rats." The silence resounded in the entire square. "How dare you? Cross the authority of our queens, deny our institutions. If none of these traditions matter to you, you can leave. The forest is large enough to welcome a thousand of traitors."                                                                                       After his last words, he left and came inside the tower. Lexa and I followed him. Before we came in, one of the leaders stood up and shouted: "You can make all the speeches you want, we won't leave till justice is served." He gave us a judging look and we closed the doors.

Everyone was inside the tower near to the prison's tunnel. Kort came to Bellamy and put his hand on his shoulder.

"You're a brave boy. But what were you thinking about?" Kort said.

"I wasn't thinking. That's the point. But I couldn't let him hurt Clarke..." He paused embarrassed, and corrected himself. "Hurt the queen." Bellamy voice was deep and strong like the first time I met him, maybe he was trying to prove his strength to Kort. The way he was around powerful people and the way he was around me was so different and fascinating. I loved the fact that he could pull down this wall he built around himself with me.

"Whatever we do, we can't go back out there without protection." I turned, hearing steps coming from behind.

"I'll protect you." Aspen answered. I gave him a dark look and Lexa remained cold but he didn't replay and bowed to my feet. "Your majesty."

"It's not like we have much of a choice. All our guards are out there." I said. "Don't mess up. Our lives are at stake." After my words Bellamy went to the doors but I stopped him. "What are you doing?" I asked giving him a worried look.

"This will only end one way. I'm not putting all your lives in danger. I'm going to turn myself in." He opened the doors and came out before I had the chance to catch him. I yelled and Aspen caught me to keep me inside. I was trying to get out of his arms.

"Don't you dare touch me! Let go of me!" I was yelling like I never had in my life. I didn't even recognize my own voice. My throat was hurting but not as much as my heart. I never understood why your heart is painful when it comes to someone you love. I punched him in the stomach and his arms opened so I ran outside as fast as I could. I saw Bellamy alone in front of all the soldiers. I stopped terrified a few steps back and heard him.

"You wanted to kill a Skaikru. Go for it"