Chapter 36: Run, Forest, run!

Start from the beginning

I could only shrug. "I... I don't know. Look, guys, nothing is decided yet."

They were about to question me further, but Logan intervened. "Leave her be, guys." I shot him a grateful smile. Logan knew me best out of all my friends and therefor could also detect when I wasn't ready to talk about something.

"Excuse us," Ryan mumbled before standing up and tugging at Sophie's wrist.

She shot us a small smile, one everybody could easily see through and detect that it was forced before following her brother out of the cafeteria.

The conversation was stirred into more comfortable terrain shortly after. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed Drake picking up his phone. He cleared his throat after skimming over his phone screen. "Hey, umm, Jeremy you remember that thing?"

Jere furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. "What thing?"

Drake scratched the back of his neck nervously. "You, you know the thing."

Jere was still confused.

Drake sighed in frustration. "The thing Ryan said you would help me with?" he said very slowly.

Suddenly Jere's eyes widened in realization. "Oh. Oh! That thing! Right, what about it?"

I shared a puzzled look with Logan. "Could you help me now?"

"Ugh, now?" Jeremy didn't seem very happy about this thing taking place now. Wait! Were they talking about drugs?

"Yeah, please. Um, X, needs the thing as soon as possible." Okay, they were most probably talking about drugs with the way they were behaving.

"Right, right." Jeremy nodded his head. "Let's go then."

After they walked away I shared a look with Logan. "What was that about?"

I shook my head. "I don't know." I could only hope they weren't getting themselves into trouble. "Hey, has anyone heard from Jo lately?"

They shook their heads and I let out a disgruntled sigh. Why won't she text me back? It was very unlike Jo not to be on her phone 24/7.

Shortly after, I saw Chris walking by our table. I was about to wave him over and greet him, but Sophie came back to us, a determined look in her eyes. She gave me her most dazzling smile, which made me suspicious to say the least. "Hey, Liz," she started.

"What?" I asked, eyes narrowed at her. What was she up to now?

"You wanna hang out after school with me and Courtney?"

That was too innocent a suggestion for the mischivious glint in her eyes. "What's the plan?" I asked instead of answering right away.

She shrugged. "I don't know just going to the mall, doing some shopping." Aha, there it was.

Tony chuckled. "Good luck with that plan," he said to her, clapping her on the shoulder.

"What? Why would you say that?" she asked, confused.

"Because Liz hates shopping."

She turned to me. "You do?" she asked hesitantly.

I sighed and shrugged. "Yeah, well, kinda. So, I'll just skip today. Go without me."

"No!" she said so quickly I had to pull away slightly. Okay? I raised a brow at her. What was that? "I mean," she said, now with a smile on her face. "We could still do something else. We don't need to go shopping."

I cleared my throat uncomfortably. "Yeah, look, I'm just not feeling like going out today okay?" My insecurities about Sam really got to me and I think going somewhere public with lots of people wasn't such a good idea. But then again Sophie seemed eager to spent time with me and I didn't want to let her down.