02

I walk passed the curtains, towards the centre of the large stage. I am absolutely dreading what is to come. To say that I am worried and scared would be a fairly accurate assumption. I kept wondering what my new owner will be like. 'Will he be as nice and caring as Jackson was or will he be a living nightmare and make my life a misery?'

I was completely overwhelmed by the amount of vampires that are in the audience. There must be about 500 to 600 vampires in here. Due to the high ceiling of the room, there was enough space to have two levels for the audience to sit. But I noticed that all of the vampires in the audience were wearing masks that cover the top half of their faces.

I observe my surroundings and see a large screen at the back of the stage, behind me, showing a close up of me so that every vampire can see me clearly. The auctioneer is beside me, standing behind his lectern.

He looks extremely happy by the look of the wide smile on his face. Of course he will be happy, he's making a whole lot of cash by selling slaves for the highest price he can get.

"Here we have y/n l/n, she has h/c hair and e/c eyes and she is 18 years old. She is multi-talented; she can cook, clean and entertain by singing and dancing. She can speak several languages including English, Chinese and Korean. She is also a virgin." The auctioneer said,

"We will start bidding at $100 000."

I wasn't shocked by the starting price at all. In fact I was expecting it to be high, because of the fact that I'm different compared to the other girls. The starting price shouldn't be a problem for the vampires in any case, seeming that they are all rolling in money.

I couldn't stop thinking about what the auctioneer said. "She is multi-talented". Multi-talented? They don't even know what my specialty is, what ignorant idiots. Jackson had trained me for a very specific and complex job. He trained me to be a professional assassin.

What am I doing in an auction house then, you may ask? Because before Jackson died he told me, incase I ever  end up in this situation, to keep the assassin part a secret. I can only show my skills in a life or death situation. He said it was for my own safety and protection.

I have obeyed his instuction ever since and I don't plan on doing otherwise anytime soon, unless it is necessary of course.

Jackson told me that highly skilled assassins are majorly sought after by vampires. Assassins are in such high demand, that if a vampire knows that a human is an assassin, the vampire will do anything and everything they can to get that human, even if it means stealing the human from their owner. It also depends if the vampire is lucky enough to not get killed by the assassin in the process.

I promised Jackson that I will do as he says and I plan to keep that promise, until the time comes when I must do what I can to survive.

Flashback: 12 years old

Mom died a week ago and I've been grieving for her death the whole time ever since. Jackson couldn't take anymore of me being alone and crying all day and night, so on a warm and windless afternoon, when Jackson didn't have any work to do, he took me to the little lake on his property, behind the house to shoot some cans.

I knew that the only reason he took me out, was to cheer me up and divert my thoughts to something other than mom's tragic and untimely death.

We arrived at the lake and went to a spot where there was a picnic bench. Jackson put his bag, that was full of guns, down on the ground near the bench and a packet of empty cans with the bag. Jackson drew targets on the cans with a marker and filled the cans with water. He then placed a can on the bench and lead me a few feet away from the bench, whilst holding a hand gun in his hand.

Jackson showed me how to use the gun and then placed the gun in my hand and told me to shoot the can. I did as he said. With shaking hands, I aimed at the can and pulled the trigger. I missed.

I was disappointed that I missed the can, I mean, I wasn't even far away from the can. It should've been an easy shot. I lowered the gun with a look of defeat on my face. I felt useless.

"It's okay, it's your first time using a gun. Everybody misses on their first shot, it's not a big deal. All you have to do is try again." Jackson encouraged me with a smile gracing his lips.

"I'll tell you a little secret that will guarantee a hit everytime." Jackson leaned forward so that he can whisper in my ear, as if he is afraid somebody else will hear him.

He says to me, "Just focus on the target. Block out everything that is happening around you and take slow breaths. Aim for the centre of the target, once you have locked your aim onto the centre of the target, pull the trigger but try to prevent the gun from moving when it fires. And that kiddo, is the secret to how you never miss a shot."

Jackson then moved behind me and kept a reasonable distance so that I can focus on the target in front of me. I did everything Jackson told me to do, and it was working. My breathing became shallow, everything other than the target was blurred out. The many sounds surrounding me were muted. The was just absolute silence. I aimed for the centre of the target.

The shallow breathing prevented my hands from shaking. I am in my ultimate state of focus. My aim is on the dead centre of the target, then... I pulled the trigger. Bullseye. The can went tumbling down to the ground.

Jackson was stunned, he stood behind me, frozen still. His eyes wide open, eyebrows raised and mouth gaping open. He couldn't believe what he had just witnessed. He soon snapped out of his state of utter shock and made me take a few steps further away from the bench.

He placed another can on the bench and told me to shoot, so I did. Another bullseye. For each shot that hit the centre of the target, he made me take a few steps back, until I was far enough to be able to use a sniper rifle. He showed me how to use it and I managed to hit the can again.

Jackson was extremely impressed with my natural skills. "Wow kiddo, you're amazing!" He exclaimed excitedly. "I think you should start training to become a hitman or even an assassin. You'll go far, I just know you will." He said with a toothy grin.

I smiled at him in return, content that I made him proud of me.

That was the day that I started training to become a professional assassin.

End of flashback

All the vampires' eyes were on me, watching me, judging me. I felt extremely uncomfortable with all the attention on me. It's not that I haven't been around a lot of vampires in my life, because I have, but I'm just not used to being in the spotlight.

Jackson would take me to parties and gatherings, filled with wealthy and powerful vampires with him in order for me to gain information about other vampires as part of my training. But the other vampires would never pay me much attention because they saw me as just a personal slave of Jackson's and nothing more.

Though I suppose that is an advantage for me because I know most of the powerful and rich vampires in America, but none of them know me.

I continue to look around at the audience until I hear something I have been expecting to hear ever since I came to the auction house.

"$100 000!"