29| "It's never too late"

Start from the beginning

'You will never be remembered,' I spoke, locking eyes with the bastard who had done so much. The anger in me built up to the height of mountains and my voice trembled as I continued, 'There isn't so much of a dent your slimy low existence could ever bring to the history of our world. And once we wipe you off the face of mortality, you will be gone forever. Just a passing pebble in the grand scheme of our lives'.

Edmund's eyes flashed dangerously and before we could react his blade slid across Briana's throat like knife across butter and scarlet liquid fell from her wound like a red curtain after her final performance. I watched her eyes grow dim before she fell to her knees and as she fell the double doors behind him opened.

KEIRA

The roars were what got me to disobey immediately.

I yanked the doors open and ran towards the welcome hall, my feet pounding against carpet.

The sight of the mansion being torn to pieces was enough to frighten anybody yet between the masses of Víran there was only one person I was looking for.

Jett was struggling, blood running down his temple in continuous streams as he flitted in and out of vision. There were others too, Blaze lighting marble and monsters alike on fire. Julian with talons of a beast, ripping the jugulars out of his enemies. Jax and Pixie stood together, a whirlwind of thorny vines and fangs the size of a forearm.

In the midst of it all was the man I had once called uncle, his gaze locked with mine as the constant stream of Víran running in sank their fangs into his flesh. I knew what he was doing without explanation and bile rose up my throat.

With the blood and soul of a healer in their system, the monsters healed as they fought against my friends. Their wounds sealed close every time our side made any cuts and as more Víran came through the door I knew that it was only a matter of time until it became too much.

It was then that Sana seemed to call for me. My mother's crystal necklace had hung from my neck since we left Eluen's Lounge and my fingers closed around it.

It seemed to throb against my palm and it was with sudden clarity that I knew what I had to do.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I'd never been brave.

When my parents had died, I had doused myself in alcohol and made a nest of my room - blocking out everything that had to do with life and that reminded me of how it had been robbed from my loved ones.

It was coming to Metaine that had changed me forever. With all the things that had gone down, whether bad or good, I had made friends for life and found someone who loved me beyond measure.

The world had decided to give me hope and extend my vision with new chances, people and a whole other dimension - and it was time for me to give it back.

It felt like an out of body experience as I walked down the stairs, hardly noticed by the frenzy of fighting between either side as I slowly picked up the blade smeared with crimson. It seemed to have come from Edmund, by the way his hand was reached out to it and the way he looked up at me when I stood over him.

'Kill me then,' he whispered deliriously, the corners of his mouth dripping with crimson, 'It's too late to change anything now,' he continued, the red lips forming a maniacal smile.

'It's never too late,' I whispered back as I held up the blade - before plunging it into my heart.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬