15| ''Goodbye''

A/N: Picture of the barn in media.

JETT

'Run! JUST RUN!' Daniel roared, throwing me into the arms of Nathaniel as we stumbled through the forest of the van der Laine estate, 'TAKE HIM!'

I struggled against Nate, my fingers grasping air, 'LET ME GO! DANIEL! DANIEL, YOU CAN'T DO THIS!'

'We have to go,' Nate growled into my ear as he started pulling me away.

The air grew hot, so humid and thick that we both coughed as we tried to make it through the thick cluster of trees that lined the far end of the van der Laine garden.

Our hunters had given chase from the Lionfield Estate, and we had fled to Metaine, high jacking cars before breaking out into a run past the gate of the elite district. Daniel had ordered us to make way for the house of our healers and we were going to make it.

I ran, my lungs giving out as I felt blood choke me from the inside.

I didn't know who they were, but these were unlike the normal monsters we were taught to hunt. These were monsters with the intelligence that we had acquired over years of training.

'Stop it,' Nate ordered as he ushered me into the stables. Thick hay scratched at my face as he threw me in between manure and straw and I spat, getting up before he slung an arm over my neck; holding me in a chokehold, 'Stay here'.

'Daniel's going to die,' I growled, struggling against my older brother.

Though Nathaniel was smarter, I was stronger and I broke loose from his arms before opening the doors of the barn.

Daniel was still running and the cold midnight air struck my face, making me expel a short relieved breath, 'DANIEL! HERE!'

'Are you fücking stupid?' Nate hissed from behind me, 'You're luring them to the last family of pure line healers. What're you going to do if the van der Laine's die of this?'

'They have protective spells up,' I hissed back, glaring at my older brother, 'He's going to make it'.

I saw the sweat beading on Daniel's forehead, his parted lips as he took in short gasps of air as he ran towards me. Something was behind him, a dark smoke-like figure that flashed in the moonlight like an apparition from another world.

'RUUUUUNNN!' I roared, watching the necklace around his neck sweep up into the air in slowmotion. It hung there for a fleeting second, glinting in the moonlight before my brother fell.

Daniel, my brother, who never fell.

'NOOOOOO!' I started to run but it was Nate who wrapped his arms around me.

'CLOSE THE DOOR!' Daniel shouted, I hardly heard him through my own cries and I felt Nate's arms tremble. With  a quick jerk of my elbow, I slammed it into my brother's nose and he let me go with a cry.

I fell forward, scrambling towards Daniel who was nearly covered by the shadowy smoke when one part of it escaped. It hovered in the air for a moment before it dashed forwards and when I looked past my shoulder, Nathaniel was on his knees and blood dripped from his eyes.

I scrambled for the pills in my nightstand, the bottle that I had Julian brew me especially for days such as these. I was panting as I crawled over my room carpet like a dog on its last legs and pushed the wooden nightstand to its side before yanking out the drawer.

But all I could see was the scene that was playing forth behind my eyes.

It was Daniel who shot past me, as if he had never been caught at all. In a minute he had grasped Nate and thrown our brother my way. In a minute he was running into the barn, the shadows hot on his heels.